[News] Cory Doctorow and Richard Stallman Smash Copyright Myths

TOC 09 "Digital Distribution and the Whip Hand: Don't Get iTunesed with your
eBooks" -- Cory Doctorow

,----[ Quote ]
| Cory Doctorow (craphound.com) is a science fiction novelist, blogger and
| technology activist. He is the co-editor of the popular weblog Boing Boing
| (boingboing.net), and a contributor to Wired, Popular Science, Make, the New
| York Times, and many other newspapers, magazines and websites
`----

http://blip.tv/file/1996369

Of RMS, Ethical Visions, and Copyright Law

,----[ Quote ]
| As RMS emphasises again and again, at the heart of free software lies an
| ethical vision of sharing and mutual respect. Although open source blurs that
| vision somewhat thanks to the glasses of pragmatism that it wears, the basic
| idea is still there. And yet we talk relatively little about that ethical
| aspect, which is a pity, because it is both important and interesting.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/04/of-rms-ethical-visions-and-copyright.html

Recent:

France's anti-piracy fight 'too costly'

,----[ Quote ]
| France's telcos are protesting the huge price of the Gallic government's
| anti-piracy crackdown.
|
| A draft law that goes before France's lower house, the National Assembly,
| next Wednesday requires local Internet service providers to contact
| onlinepirates by email and suspend repeat offenders' Internet connection.
`----

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000645.html?categoryid=19&cs=1&nid=2562

Eircom to block Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| In a letter sent to ISPs across the country last week, the Irish Recorded
| Music Association (IRMA) disclosed the deal and warned others to follow suit
| or face legal action.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/23/irma_demands_irish_isps_block_access_to_piracy_sites/

Irish ISP Eircom in 'three strike' filesharer crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Eircom had argued it was under no obligation to monitor the content of
| traffic over its network.
|
| The music labels originally wanted the court to order Eircom to install
| software from a US firm to detect copyrighted music files sent over its
| network. The ISP objected, saying the software could breach its customer's
| privacy.
|
| Instead, Eircom settled for the increasingly-familiar
| three-strikes "graduated response" program. The first time a subscriber's IP
| is detected infringing copyright, a warning is sent out. The second time, the
| subscriber is cautioned that they will be disconnected. Number three is the
| big disconnect.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/eircom_agrees_to_three_strikes_enforcement/

ISP Capitulates to IFPI, Agrees to Disconnect Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until today, the ‘Big Four’ record labels were taking legal action against
| Ireland’s biggest ISP, Eircom, in order to force it to employ filtering
| technology to stop online pirates. The case has been aborted as Eircom, at
| the behest of the music industry, has agreed to start disconnecting those
| accused of illicit file-sharing.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/isp-capitulates-to-ifpi-agrees-to-disconnect-pirates-090128/

French Net black-out against "graduated response"

,----[ Quote ]
| Opposing the stubborn and ridiculous will of the French governement to
| disconnect whole families from the Internet without real proof or trial, La
| Quadrature du Net issues a call to all freedom-cherishing citizens to
| a "black-out" of their sites, blogs, profiles, avatars,... As has been done
| in New Zealand, the only other country with France where the "graduated
| response" would have been imposed by law, and was finally pushed back: to
| protest against this stupid law and its "white list" of authorized websites,
| the French Web must act and dress in black.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/french-net-blackout-against-graduated-response

Music industry's Irish ISP shakedown letter leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| An internet hosting company has published a copy of the nasty-gram Ireland's
| music industry lawyers bulk-mailed to that country's internet service
| providers, demanding they begin blocking access to any website accused of
| piracy or else.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/irma_letter_to_isps_blacknight_solutions/

Music Executive Ridiculed at Pirate Bay Trial

,----[ Quote ]
| Laughter filled The Pirate Bay trial here Wednesday when John Kennedy, the
| chief executive of the International Federation of Phonographic Industries,
| testified that people would have purchased every music track they got free
| file sharing.
|
| Kennedy answered an affirmative "Yes" to Pirate Bay defense attorneys when
| asked whether that was true. Bursting laughter could be heard from the audio
| room beside the courtroom where the trial's sound was being broadcast.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/02/piratebaywednes.html

UK government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]