[News] Ubuntu/Canonical Adds GNU/Linux Server Emphasis

PC, Server Makers Prepare for Canonical’s Ubuntu 9.04 Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the pure facts: Small Ubuntu proponents — such as PC maker System76 —
| plan to begin offering Ubuntu 9.04 on systems starting April 23, with
| shipments beginning the following week. But this is more than a PC push.
| System76 will preload the new Ubuntu on servers, desktops, notebooks and
| event a forthcoming netbook, according to System 76 President Carl Richell.
| Oh, and by the way: System76’s revenues are growing fast thanks to its focus
| on Ubuntu.
|
| Meanwhile, Dell continues to test Ubuntu 9.04 on selected desktops, notebooks
| and netbooks — though it will be a few months before Dell moves its Ubuntu
| product lineup to the latest operating system release. In the meantime,
| roughly 30 percent of the company’s netbooks are sold with Ubuntu 8.04
| pre-installed, according to one Dell insider.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/04/15/pc-server-makers-prepare-for-canonicals-ubuntu-904-launch/

Shuttleworth: Oracle a Litmus test for Linux, Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth added that he expect that Oracle will eventually certify on
| Oracle, in his view it's just a matter of time as Ubuntu gains momentum. In
| my opinion, while certainly Oracle has its own Linux now, they are also a
| very customer focused organization.
|
| So simply put, if enterprises want Oracle certified to run on Ubuntu, they
| should start asking for it.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/04/shuttleworth-oracle-a-litmus-t.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition: What to Expect

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that Jaunty is not a long-term support release, many server users are
| likely to opt instead for Ubuntu 8.04 (a.k.a ‘Hardy’) in production
| environments, since the latter receives security updates through 2013.  This
| means that the features new to Jaunty server edition will be limited largely
| to testbeds.  Nonetheless, those who opt to put Jaunty into production on
| their servers will benefit from incremental improvements and new features
| that, although not yet completely stable, offer cutting-edge functionality.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/04/13/ubuntu-904-server-edition-what-to-expect/

Canonical Announces Ubuntu Server Training Course

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canonical-Announces-Ubuntu-Server-Training-Course-107540.shtml