[News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Can Beat $0 Windows

Will Linux Overtake Windows XP in Netbooks?

,----[ Quote ]
| With cost-cutting pressures expected to continue into the post-recessionary
| phase, ABI Research predicts that Linux will benefit from the entry into the
| market of lower-cost netbooks that run ARM-based processors.
| The research firm also predicted that by 2012 Linux and "alternative
| operating systems" (OSes) will overtake Microsoft's Windows XP in netbook
| sales. Apart from low-end netbooks, ABI cited the arrival of mobile stacks
| such as the Linux-based Android that are suited for these platforms as the
| main reason.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/Will_Linux_Overtake_Windows_XP_in_Netbooks/551-101052-911.html

Recent:

Ballmer: GNU/Linux Will Win on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| I think this is a very frank analysis of the problem for Microsoft: after
| all, who's going to pay extra money just to get the Windows logo on a
| netbook, when they can get the same features for less with free software...?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/ballmer-gnulinux-will-win-on-netbooks.html

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT