Re: [News] GNU Radio Delivers the Goods

Doctor Smith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 23:46:51 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

GNU Radio: the open-source software defined Radio

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU Radio is an open source Software Defined Radio (SDR) project that was | started about ten years ago by Eric Blossom, an electrical engineer. The main | idea which is behind this project, as its founder says, was to turn all the | hardware problems into software problems, that is move the complexity of a | radio equipment from the hardware level to the software one, and get the | software as close to the antenna as possible.

Turning all hardware problems into software problems?
And it has taken him ten years?

I could have solved that problem in 10 seconds.

Run Linux.

Bingo, all your hardware that used to work under Windows will now have
software problems under Linux....

Now, wasn't that easy??????

Hey Flatty,

I didn't think that you were so stupid, so I guess that I have to explain the problem using words that even a child could understand.

These days there are more people wanting to use radio then there are frequencies with reasonable coverage to accommodate them.

This is forcing governments to insist that new technologies be developed to allow communications that uses less of the available frequencies per channel.

Achieving this is a very complex problem.

The more complex a problem is the more complex the solution is likely to be.

Complex solutions often have errors.

Errors in hardware is often quite expensive to fix.

Errors in software generally only require a software update and are as such much cheaper to carry out.

If all the complex signal processing done in hardware were to be done in software, then it would be easier to fix any errors.

This is a very complex problem.

Linux is a good fit for this sort of a problem, because it allows the world to work together to come up with a solution.

Ian