[News] United States Government Pushes for Free Software in Healthcare

Federal Government Releases Open-Source NHIN Software

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, the federal government made available for download and public use
| the software code that will connect organizations to the Nationwide Health
| Information Network, Modern Healthcare reports.
| The no-cost, open-source software, called Connect, was developed under the
| Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT's Federal Health
| Architecture initiative (Conn, Modern Healthcare, 4/8).

Feds take health care open source

,----[ Quote ]
| President Obama has made transparency a hallmark of his presidency, with open
| source an integral part of this pledge. Obama has also expressed a desire to
| overhaul the U.S. health care system.
| This week those two goals came together this week in Connect, "a(n
| open-source) gateway between multiple federal organizations and the proposed
| national health information network," according to Modern Healthcare.

Connect: An Open Source Effort to Improve Healthcare Info Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama administration is committed to overhauling government spending on
| technology by adopting open source solutions, and healthcare professionals
| are increasingly heeding the call of open source. This week brings an
| important step in empowering healthcare IT organizations to tie into the
| Nationwide Health Information Network (NHIN), a federal initiative to
| facilitate the electronic exchange of health information. The open source
| inititiative is called Connect.

NHIN software released to open-source community

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal Health Architecture project released into the public domain the
| code for Connect, a software gateway that will let organizations outside the
| federal government share health information via the National Health
| Information Network.

Sun Microsystems Helps U.S. Federal Government Build Interoperable NHIN

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software from Sun Microsystems Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA) is enabling
| the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to build a
| secure, open technology platform to connect federal government agencies and
| health information exchanges in a "network of networks"--the Nationwide
| Health Information Network (NHIN)--built over the Internet.

HIMSS day1: Medsphere

,----[ Quote ]