Re: [News] LTSP Does a Fine Job for GNU/Linux

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 00:45:44 +0000
From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: [News] LTSP Does a Fine Job for GNU/Linux

PXE: Not Just for Server Networks Anymore!
[...]

The one thing that bugs me about LTSP at this point is that it doesn't provide what I see as the key advantages of thin client solutions that all the commercial solutions include, including Citrix, RDP, Sun Ray, NX, SGD: Hot desking.

I work for a company who has a large Solaris 10/Sun Ray deployment. I like being able to disconnect from my session, walk across the building or drive across town to one of our other offices, and pick up my session as I left it.

This also means that if we have a power outage, everything keeps working because the servers are on UPS and generator power. No such luck on LTSP - if the terminal loses power, your session dies. If you want to move to another terminal, you have to save everything, close your programs and log off, and then log on at the other location, rather than just hitting shift-pause to disconnect, as on the Sun Ray.

Despite this, LTSP shows promise, and the developers might well come up with a solution to this in future.

LTSP doesn't work over low bandwidth links either, so it won't be displacing a fair chunk of the Windows Terminal Services or Citrix market anytime soon.