[News] 25MB GNU/Linux Distro Accomplishes Its Goals

Slitaz Linux - Tiny but fierce

,----[ Quote ]
| When someone asks you to name a small Linux distro, under 100MB, names like
| Puppy and Damn Small Linux come to mind. Now, the featherweight category has
| another candidate, a 25MB fighter called Slitaz.
| [...]
| At 25MB, Slitaz cannot possibly satisfy every need. Slitaz is an incredibly
| light and fast distro, visually pleasing, stable, and well made. It has a
| solid, modest baseline of programs and a very convenient software management
| utility that makes it quite easy to expand. Other functions are lacking, like
| networking and automounting of drives. I'd like to see improved Wireless
| support, connectivity for Windows (Samba) and better multimedia.

Or you could just use Slitaz

,----[ Quote ]
| Either way the Slitaz crew is doing some amazing things, and every time I
| look at it, I’m impressed. If you’re sitting on an old machine and want to
| inject some speed into it, I highly recommend experimenting with this one.
| You will not be disappointed, and you might just be saving yourself hours of
| compiling to get the same level of performance. I would have.

SliTaz live CD: small but beautifully marked

,----[ Quote ]
| When I came across the oddly named SliTaz I really didn’t know what to
| expect. Yet another predictable fork of some better known distro which would
| blaze briefly in the free software firmament, burn out and fall to Earth,
| spent? Boy, was I ever wrong. If you want to know why Switzerland may be
| about to become better known for more than chocolate and Cuckoo clocks, read
| on and be prepared to be impressed and delighted by a live distro of
| exceptional speed and size.

SliTaz, a mighty micro Linux distro

,----[ Quote ]
| SliTaz is a new micro GNU/Linux live distribution designed to run from RAM (a
| recommended minimum of 128MB) and installable to a hard drive or USB device.
| The current version, SliTaz 1.0, weighs in at a light 24.8MB and provides a
| nice selection of applications that run on a lightweight desktop. You can
| store user data and settings on persistent media, and support for more than
| 400 additional download packages is available.

A second look at Slitaz 1.0: turns out it has a lot of potential

,----[ Quote ]
| But in its "raw" configuration, Slitaz is a 25 MB ISO — smaller than Puppy
| Linux and Damn Small Linux, and with fewer apps as well.
| [...]
| I'll be watching Slitaz very closely, and I expect big things for it in the
| future, should development continue — and I really do hope it does.

SliTaz: A light-weight GNU/Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, if you are in need of a distribution that does not require a
| lot of resources, SliTaz is definitely worth checking out. It is in active
| development and worth watching to see what the future has in store for it.

SliTaz -- 25 MB Live Distro.

,----[ Quote ]
| I find SliTaz very fast for web browsing.

Introducing SliTaz Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Live CD starts with a boot prompt in French, with a little information
| about the default username and the password. From there, the CD will
| automatically boot in 3 seconds if you don't press the Enter key and in about
| 1-2 minutes you will be asked to choose your desired language, keyboard
| layout and screen resolution. Immediately after you have chosen the desired
| resolution, a nice login screen will appear. Login with username hacker and
| password root. You will enter in the lightweight JWM (Joe's Window Manager)
| window manager.

Damn Minuscule Linux: A First Look At SliTaz 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| But if you’ve an old laptop gathering dust under your desk, and you’re
| looking for an interesting, fun project SliTaz is a great choice.
| There’s a solid base to it, with well-chosen default software and a
| reasonable downloadable selection to complement it, all wrapped up in a
| mini-marvel of a distro.
| Give SliTaz a try – you won’t be disappointed, and its cleverness will make
| you smile. And that’s a promise!

SliTaz 1.0 on 450Mhz K6-2, 256Mb

,----[ Quote ]
| This is easily my favorite live CD now. I admire DSL for being versatile and
| fast, and I do like the way Puppy Linux has evolved. But it’s hard to beat a
| pretty, usable, complete system that ducks under the 25Mb mark, and does it
| so well. Fatter distributions (and I’m thinking of Xubuntu, et al., here)
| would do well to notice how much can be done with so little.

First look at SliTaz GNU/Linux 1.0, the smallest desktop distro on earth

,----[ Quote ]
| I haven't been this impressed with a new Linux distribution for a long time.
| A compact package with basic applications, a web server and web development
| tools, an excellent package manager, remastering utilities and good
| auto-configuration scripts - all in a 25 MB download. What more can one need?
| While SliTaz GNU/Linux is unlikely to satisfy every user's needs, the project
| is a great testament to the old saying that good things come in a small
| package. It is also a tribute to the infinite versatility of Linux and free
| software. Give SliTaz a try, you will like it!

A quick look over SliTaz 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line? I liked SliTaz for its extremely low system requirements,
| and I particularly liked the package manager.

SliTaz GNU/Linux, the Smallest “Desktop” Distro Ever Created

,----[ Quote ]