[News] KDE4 Screencasts and Fancy New Things for KDE 4.3

more plasma screencastiness

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, so .. Plasma screencast! I demonstrate a couple of cute little features
| we've put into 4.3: a nicer moving desktop toolbox that performs little
| tricks when you click on it, a KRunner that is self-documenting (huzzah for
| discoverability) and a new KRunner results layout. As you watch it, you may
| also want to marvel at the speed of it: KRunner is feeling a lot faster in
| current trunk/. Wilder, David Faure and I have the blisters to prove we
| earned it. ;)

decision trees

,----[ Quote ]
| The patch that Dave submitted in this case provides a "fake" translucency for
| panels that shows the "desktop wallpaper" (a concept that doesn't actually
| exist in that form in Plasma) not unlike what we had in kicker in KDE3.

Review: Dolphin 1.2.1 File Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Since my main system is Debian Lenny (KDE3) I must say I did not have much
| time to test KDE4 (although lately I spent some time with Kubuntu Jaunty
| Beta), but I was impressed in a pleasant way by Dolphin. What I've read
| before was mostly how crappy of a file manager it is, how limited it is and
| so on. Although I prefer Konqueror, I must say this isn't true: Dolphin is
| actually pretty feature-complete and easy to use.

Post 4.2 features - part 1 [Lancelot]

,----[ Quote ]
| New system buttons
| One of the first requested features, even before the Lancelot brainstorm
| thread on KDE forums was to change the system buttons from Lock Session, Log
| Out and Switch User to something else because some users don’t use some of
| the buttons. Radically changing the Lancelot behaviour this late in its age
| of existence is something that can not be considered. But the users should
| have some freedom.

You’ve got branched!

,----[ Quote ]
| While this is great news for 4.2, it is even better for 4.3. This means that
| the SVN trunk is now exiting the /feature freeze/ state. This is a great
| thing for developers because the development becomes fun again (squashing
| bugs can not be labeled as fun), great for PlanetKDE readers since you’ll get
| real news from now on, and great for feature junkies for obvious reasons.

Lancelot, and the Knights of the Plasma Widget

,----[ Quote ]
| As someone who is a stickler for usability and efficiency, this sort of
| project is really brilliant. The fact that there is competition between
| different menu systems is part of what gives open-source operating systems an
| edge over the commercial ones.

Lancelot reaches Holy Grail of KDE menu

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4 is barely eight months old, and already it has three options for a main
| menu. Until now, users have either used the default Kickoff, which makes for
| awkward navigation of the menu tree, or reverted to the familiar but unwieldy
| classic menu. Now, with the first full release of Lancelot, users have
| another option that overcomes the shortcomings of both other alternatives and
| gives KDE 4 a thoroughly modern menu.
| [...]
| These points aside, Lancelot is in many ways what Kickoff should have been.
| It makes Kickoff structures work without inhibiting navigation or adding
| unnecessary complexity. I would not be greatly surprised if, a few releases
| down the road, Lancelot becomes the default menu in the KDE 4 series.

Lancelot revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, not exactly, but now you can get the general idea, and you can see what
| it will look like
| This is an actual screenshot, not a mock up...

The LHC is using KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| I found some more interesting images:
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-3.html
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-5.html
| http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ohptoftimemeasured13sepjy2.png (from
| slashdot.org)

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]