Re: Novells Linux ambitions ..

Doug Mentohl wrote:

> It's emerged that paid Novell employees who were involved in the
> OpenSuSE community are among those that are getting laid off by the
> company ..
>
> If Novell is genuine in its Linux ambitions, it will have cut the
> marketing and liaison types first. This would make sense, given there
> was a flowering of such roles at a range of tech companies looking for
> love through engagement in the open-source community during the bubble
> years. We've seen this at Microsoft, IBM, and CA in addition to Sun - to
> name just a handful ...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/27/novell_opensuse_cuts/

If a groups of Senior SuSE Linux engineers got together in Germany and
decided to form their own derivative of SuSE Linux through the GPL,
then all the investors would flock to them to fund their company.
No investor will refuse funding for an offshoot SuSE aimed
squarely at SuDE Linux Desktop for Enterpises.

There is too much money to be made from earning the respect of the open
source community.