[News] Bruce Schneier Attacks Surveillance Society in the UK

The Tech Lab: Bruce Schneier

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the future, where everything about you is saved. A future where
| your actions are recorded, your movements are tracked, and your conversations
| are no longer ephemeral. A future brought to you not by some 1984-like
| dystopia, but by the natural tendencies of computers to produce data.

British ISPs restrict access to Wikipedia amid child pornography allegations

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikinews has learned that at least six of the United Kingdom's main Internet
| Service Providers (ISPs) have implemented monitoring and filtering mechanisms
| that are causing major problems for UK contributors on websites operated by
| the Wikimedia Foundation, amongst up to 1200 other websites.
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_ISPs_restrict_access_to_Wikipedia_amid_child_pornography_allegations?curid=117771

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

Police close file on BT's trials

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of London Police have said there will be no formal investigation of
| BT over its secret trials of an ad monitoring system.

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright