[News] More Censorship from China, United States

China Shuts Down 'Unregistered' Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| We hadn't heard much about the program since then, but apparently the
| government has recently decided to shut down thousands of "unregistered"
| websites, mostly of small businesses.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090225/0047383892.shtml

The New Book Banning

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s hard to believe, but true: under a law Congress passed last year aimed
| at regulating hazards in children’s products, the federal government has now
| advised that children’s books published before 1985 should not be considered
| safe and may in many cases be unlawful to sell or distribute. Merchants,
| thrift stores, and booksellers may be at risk if they sell older volumes, or
| even give them away, without first subjecting them to testing—at prohibitive
| expense. Many used-book sellers, consignment stores, Goodwill outlets, and
| the like have accordingly begun to refuse new donations of pre-1985 volumes,
| yank existing ones off their shelves, and in some cases discard them en
| masse.
`----

http://www.city-journal.org/2009/eon0212wo.html

Recent:

Richard Stallman on ISP filtering and censorship

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/richard-stallman-on-isp-filtering-and-censorship/