[News] Why Free Software Too is Compelling Even for Oracle to Ignore

Is M&A stifling Oracle's creativity?

,----[ Quote ]
| Even so, a big question is looming as to whether Oracle, which spends just 10
| to 15 percent of its budget on research and development, can keep up with
| competitors and, in particular, open source.
|
| "Open source?!" you say, "that's just a big commodifier of others'
| innovations." Not so. In fact, if you look at the budgets of most emerging
| open-source companies, we spend significantly more on development than Oracle
| and, importantly, more of that R&D budget goes toward real innovation, not
| reinventing the wheel. Indeed, that's the whole premise behind open-source
| development: efficient reuse of code.
|
| That's not the whole story, however. As Mirchandani points out in a follow-on
| post, Oracle customers are troubled by its support morass. Such customers are
| likely to be enticed by open-source offerings, which make support, not
| license fees, the centerpiece of their offerings.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10171741-16.html

Open Enterprise Interview: Bertrand Diard, Talend CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| If open source did not exist, it would be necessary to invent it, if only to
| deal with the ragbag collection of data formats out there.
|
| For open source has a unique flexibility and extensibility not generally
| available to proprietary programs, which allows it to cope with most
| applications and situations. This makes it ideal as a kind of software “glue”
| for stitching together pre-existing computer systems, which were created in
| an ad-hoc way with little thought of any eventual need to make them talk
| efficiently to each other.
|
| This powerful feature of open source was pretty much the driving force behind
| the creation of the data integration company Talend. Here its cofounder and
| CEO, Bertrand Diard, talks eloquently about the genesis of his company, open
| source's unique advantages in this sphere, the state of free software in his
| native France, and just why Talend decided to snuggle up to Microsoft last
| year.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1913&blogid=14

Recent: