[News] GNU/Linux is the Prettiest Operating System

Eye Candy: Pimping the Gnome Desktop on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| If there's one thing Linux is better at than any other operating system, it's
| allowing you to pimp the desktop.
`----

http://laptoplogic.com/pimping-the-gnome-desktop-in-ubuntu

Why are so many windows stiff?

,----[ Quote ]
| It was said that windows are one's eyes to the world. And for so many years
| in my computing growth, I was convinced that there was only one way to look
| at the world. When I discovered Linux, I never thought that I would have a
| completely different perspective of The Road Ahead. But it was not until 2004
| that I started to get serious about Linux. And when I first installed
| PCLinuxOS, I knew for certain what I wanted.
|
| Looking around my peers and their Windows and OSX, I cannot help but wonder
| what sort of user experiences they were getting? If I didn't know better, I
| would have thought that they were trapped at a time when innovation had
| failed them. Sure, some of them take the extra steps to catch up with time
| but their ways and additions seemed superficial.
|
| My first view of an average user's desktop experience was in|situ|'s Metisse
| and Sun/Java.Net's 3D Looking Glass.
|
| [...]
|
| The technology may seem just another eye candy to some users, but I can
| assure you that aside from making your OS extremely ... let me highlight that
| word again - EXTREMELY ... beautiful, functionalities are abundant and for
| one thing it makes organizing ones desktop much easier. Of course, like
| learning to use a new application, it takes getting used to before it could
| even be totally appreciated.
`----

http://pclinuxosuser.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-are-so-many-windows-stiff.html

KDE is very pretty out of the box, but it's a matter of taste.

Recent:

Mandriva Linux KDE Desktop a cut above

,----[ Quote ]
| Two cool shots of my desktop one in 3D running Mandriva KDE,,running desktop
| theme, slim glow, icon theme KDE Crystal.
`----

http://withinreason.blogspot.com/2009/02/mandriva-linux-kde-desktop-cut-above.html

KDE 4.2 Beta++

,----[ Quote ]
| The Beta1 of KDE 4.2 Desktop Environment has been released at 26.11.2008. So
| it’s been there for a while - let’s take a look at the revision 893046.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-42-beta/

Loving KDE 4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that KDE 4.2 beta1 packages are finally done we can start using KDE 4.2!
| I think the changes are absolutely great. Nothing too radical, but the KDE
| team packed in a lot of features everywhere and it really adds up!
`----

http://jtechinda.blogspot.com/2008/12/loving-kde-42.html

KDE 4.2: A few points

,----[ Quote ]
| After reading this announcement, I decided to upgrade to 4.2 beta 1. Though I
| had been using nightly, but somebody advised me to go for the beta.
| Naturally, beta has all goodies of nightly (neon), but polished.
`----

http://sayakb.blogspot.com/2008/12/review-of-kde-42-beta-1.html

KDE 4.2 beta 1 on Gentoo

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.2 is set for release on January 27th.  Eager to see what is new and
| improved, I installed beta 1 on my Gentoo box.  KDE 4.1.80 was tagged then
| released late last month after the feature freeze deadline. This is a
| snapshot of the current development tree that will eventually be released as
| KDE 4.2.
`----

http://www.kev009.com/wp/2008/12/kde-4-2-on-gentoo/

Ubuntu: Try KDE 4.2 Now!

,----[ Quote ]
| Dolphin, the file manager for KDE 4, has also seen a few little improvements
| too; most noticeably among them being the slider to smoothly increase or
| decrease the size of the icons in folders.
|
| While this all sounds fantastic, keep in mind that this new version is still
| very much a work-in-progress, and may be prone to random breakage; the Plasma
| workspace has still been crashing regularly for me, desktop effects are still
| a little buggy and sluggish, and a few other niggles which prevent me
| personally from choosing the new KDE series over the proven stability of the
| Gnome desktop. However, it’s great for a casual tinker and for those who like
| to live on the bleeding edge. Have fun!
`----

http://hehe2.net/linux-general/try-kde-42-now-in-ubuntu/

KDE 4.2: Codenamed Caterpillar, Promising a Butterfly

,----[ Quote ]
| If the first beta of KDE 4.2 is any indication, then the final release of the
| popular GNU/Linux desktop should be the release in which KDE 4 comes into its
| own.
|
| Featuring numerous small enhancements to system settings and standard
| applications, as well as improved customization and features on the desktop
| and panel, 4.2 is a significant upgrade by any standards. Codenamed
| Caterpillar, the release offers hopeful hints of the butterfly that is
| scheduled to emerge in January.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3788811/KDE+4.2+Codenamed+Caterpillar+Promising+a+Butterfly.htm

Hands-on: KDE 4.2 beta 1 brings impressive improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta release of KDE 4.2, the next major version in the KDE 4
| series, was made available for download last week. Thousands of bugs have
| been fixed since the 4.1 release and many aspects of the environment are
| starting to feel very smooth and polished.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081202-hands-on-kde-4-2-beta-1.html

KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE development community has banded together and today released an early
| Christmas present to those using the K Desktop Environment on Linux and other
| operating systems. The first beta release of KDE 4.2 is now available. KDE
| 4.2 Beta 1 features a large number of improvements since the release of KDE
| 4.1 in July.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=kde_42_beta1&num=1

plasma systray, 4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| The white arrow on the edge is the expander: click on it and hidden icons
| show up. If you have no hidden system tray icons then the expander isn't
| shown.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/11/plasma-systray-42.html

KDE 4.2 is flat out going to rock

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s my prediction. Of course, the truth of the matter is that KDE 4.2
| (trunk) flat out rocks today. Seriously. I have never been more excited about
| the Linux desktop than I am right now. And this, 2+ months out from our
| actual KDE 4.2 release. I’ve been running OpenSUSE 11 for a couple of months
| now, and thanks to the awesome nightly/weekly KDE 4.2/trunk packages, I’m
| thoroughly enjoying pretty-darned-bleeding-edge 4.2/trunk packages, but with
| half the carbs, and I am loving what I’m seeing!
`----

http://movingparts.net/2008/11/11/kde-42-is-flat-out-going-to-rock/

Dolphin Features for KDE 4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| The feature freeze for KDE 4.2 starts on the November the 17th. Time again
| for a summary of the features that made it into Dolphin since KDE 4.1...
`----

http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2008/10/dolphin-features-for-kde-42.html

Quick Look at KDE 4.2-SVN

,----[ Quote ]