[News] Google's GNU/Linux Spreads to Sub-notebooks, E-Ink Devices, Microsoft Suffers

  • Subject: [News] Google's GNU/Linux Spreads to Sub-notebooks, E-Ink Devices, Microsoft Suffers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 01:49:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android Spreading Out to Netbooks, and E-Ink Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Although it is still early enough in development that it may not become a
| shipping product, Asus has confirmed that it has been developing a netbook
| based on Google's Android platform. Asus' Eee PC division lead, Samson Hu,
| told Bloomberg that engineers are working on a possible end-of-year release
| window. We've written before about Cupcake, a version of Android that is
| friendly to non-phone devices, and there have already been successful efforts
| putting Cupcake on netbooks.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/android-spreading-out-to-netbooks-and-e-ink-devices

Are Netbooks Eating Into PC Sales?

,----[ Quote ]
| Slowing PC sales and rising netbooks shipment has been adding to the woes of
| Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT). An estimated 30% of all netbooks sold come with
| free and open-source Linux operating system. Moreover, Microsoft has been
| selling its Windows operating system at a discount to get it installed in the
| machines, which in turn is hurting its software business. Last month, the
| Redmond, Washington based company reported a meager 1.6% rise in quarterly
| sales. While announcing 5,000 job cuts, the software giant blamed netbooks
| for a drop in Window sales. "Client revenue declined 8% as a result of PC
| market weakness and a continued shift to lower priced netbooks," the company
| said in a statement. Windows sales were down 8% in the latest quarter.
`----

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle/articleid/3060540

Recent:

Google Android Running On Eee PC 701 Tutorial

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/01/google_android_running_on_eee_pc_701_tutorial.html