[News] GNU/Linux is Ahead of Windows in Media Centres

why Linux MCE is superior to windows MCE

,----[ Quote ]
| * Cost
|
| The number one reason for choosing Linux, people have reported building a
| Linux media center with $400 total cost. Top that! Of course if you have
| unlimited budget this is not an argument. On the other hand what can be
| defined as unlimited? With equal money you will always be capable of building
| more. That's why big movie studios use Linux.
|
| * A whole house media system build with cheap diskless hardware
|
| Have some old PC's laying around? You can use them as pxe bootable thin
| clients for your Linux MCE system, most cheap graphics cards support tv out
| for a while now. Make a pc pxe bootable over the network and use it as a
| media director. And you can have one master system serving media throughout
| the whole house.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/why-linux-mce-is-superior-to-windows-mce

Related:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

LinuxMCE 0704 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release.
| According to a poll, 86% now report LinuxMCE installs and starts up without
| problems, versus 27% with the original release.
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Software/LinuxMCE-0704-Released.html

LinuxMCE 1.1 Released -- Now Runs KDE

,----[ Quote ]