[News] Solution to Microsoft's Deliberate Sabotage of Linux Paritioning

BCDs, MBRs, and grub

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out that having a trashed Linux boot menu after a Windows
| installation is a very common problem. I was able to solve it nicely with a
| combination of two free tools suggested by two readers: Super Grub Disk and
| EasyBCD.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/stratdev/archives/2009/02/bcds_mbrs_and_g.html

Recent:

Vista SP1 won't install on dual-boot systems: Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re dualbooting Windows Vista Enterprise or Ultimate alongside a Linux
| distro, and have installed the Linux bootloader into the MBR, then you’re
| guaranteed to run into problems when installing Vista Service Pack 1,
| Microsoft has admitted.
`----

http://apcmag.com/vista_sp1_wont_install_on_dualboot_systems_microsoft.htm

Related:

Geek in Paradise - Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| As the HP Advisor disc was in the process of finishing, the machine
| froze solid. After giving it 5 minutes of no disk activity, I reset
| the machine to be greeted by a lovely blinking cursor. I put the
| Vista disc in and booted into a repair installation, where I ran the
| Repair tool. My hunch was proved correct when it returned a corrupted
| MBR, which it had fixed. Thinking all was well, I rebooted to be
| greeted with a black screen (no blinking cursor). Well, there's
| something more going on so I rebooted into the repair tool and let
| it do it's thing. This time, it found a Corrupted Partition table
| which it then said it repaired. Awesome! Next reboot was greeted by
| the same black screen, so I figured the other partition was corrupt
| as well and let the repair tool run again and fix the partition
| table again. Reboot, same thing...
`----

http://geekinparadise.com/2007/04/05/vista-upgrade/

Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman/2006/09/1656/vista-scoots-to-new-boot-but-its-still-kinda-rooted