[News] Fre (Libre) Games Provides Strong Foundation

The only thing better than starting small is starting smaller

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial style games are big and complex almost by definition and so they
will take a lot of time to implement. We don’t have that much time. We also
refuse to make simple games instead (casual… meh). The only other option is to
make the games small. Or even smaller. Therefore I would like to propose
ultraepisodic games. Ultraepisodic games would work a lot like normal
commercial episodic games, for example “Sam & Max”, only more episodic - each
episode should be prepared and released within a month or even less, adding
perhaps some additional preparation time before new seasons. Because teams
working on FOSS games are much smaller than their commercial counterparts the
episodes would also be much smaller, on the scale of a single level - hence
the term ultraepisodic. I also think it would be benefiting to be able to make
the new episodes even more frequently than the commercial games do - with a
dedicated team, established world lore and asset repository two week time
frame may be possible. To put the long story short, if the commercial episodic
games are like comic books, then ultraepisodic games should be like webcomics.

| The idea of episodic gaming is nothing new. The important thing is to analyze
how episodic or ultraepisodic release model would benefit the FOSS games and
commundos.
`----

http://tryglaw.eu/m64blog/?p=146

Game Testing Job for a Free Software Person

,----[ Quote ]
| So I was browsing the FSF homepage because I wanted to dig up some info on
| their PDF priority project - but never mind that - and then I think "Let's
| check out them job listing!" and I do and then BAM! Game Test Analysts,
| (Santa Monica, CA). So I think to myself "Yeah, right! This has a logical
| explanation to it! Game theory I bet! So I click it and BAM! O_o! It's a real
| job offering for beta testing video games and it's posted on the Free
| Software Foundation's home page!
`----

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2009/02/game-testing-job-for-free-software.html

Recent:

GNU/Linux As The Platform for the Future of Innovation and Gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| So now when I think of computer gaming, and I throw in the inertia and
| excitement of the GNU/Linux Desktop OS development model, I see a WHOLE NEW
| world of computer gaming spreading out before the world, and I see so much
| potential, and it's AWESOME!!
`----

http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/02/gnulinux-as-platform-for-future-of.html

The Adventures of Rick Rocket released for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Defend the Earth from alien invaders in this action-packed, story-driven
| space shooter!
|
| My Game Company is pleased to announce the release of The Adventures of Rick
| Rocket for Linux!
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11190.html

Shadowgrounds: Survivor Proceeds On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a year ago we shared that two new PC action games were being ported to
| Linux. The games were Shadowgrounds and, its sequel, Shadowgrounds: Survivor.
| Both games were supposed to ship in the first half of 2008 for Linux, but
| that never ended up materializing. A Finnish game studio known as Frozenbyte
| originally developed these games and the Linux port was contracted to a
| company known as IGIOS. In August we were told that the delay was due to
| publisher negotiations and that they would hopefully have something in a week
| or two. That never ended up amounting to anything, but a month ago, we
| finally learned that Linux Game Publishing was working on Shadowgrounds:
| Survivor. Well, last night we finally got our hands on a beta copy of
| Shadowgrounds: Suvivor for Linux.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=lgp_survivor_beta&num=1

World of Goo Linux Version is Ready!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux version of World of Goo is finally ready for download! It’s
| available exclusively from our site, in three different packages depending on
| what your computer likes. (tar.gz, deb, rpm)
`----

http://2dboy.com/2009/02/12/world-of-goo-linux-version-is-ready/?linux=goo

21 More of the Best Free Linux Games

,----[ Quote ]