[News] GNU/Linux Brought to More Classrooms

Linux, Learning, and Little Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| Christopher Dawson has been thinking aloud about Linux in the classroom at
| his ZDNet Education blog. Dawson, the technology director of a school
| district in northern Massachusetts, had sixty new Classmate Convertible PCs
| fall into his hands, and wonders if the Linux-powered machines are a better
| option for the district.
|
| [...]
|
| In order to make the most of the available hardware, and increase the number
| of computers available in the children's room at the library, I assembled
| (and simultaneously lobotomized) a few machines to run K12LTSP. K12LTSP is an
| offshoot of the Linux Terminal Server Project customized for educational
| environments. It calls for a desktop computer with reasonable specs, and any
| number of thin clients (ours consisted of old desktops, sans hard drives,
| that could boot from the network).
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-learning-and-little-kids

To Linux or not to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have yet to test Edubuntu on the Classmate. That will be happening soon and
| obviously I need to put it through its paces before I make a decision. We
| know that XP is pretty snappy on the little machines, though, and new
| firewalls with some pretty heavy duty gateway anti-malware should keep them
| running safely without performance-sapping client-side anti-virus (we,
| unfortunately, won’t be able to send them home, meaning that the firewall and
| weekly scans with ClamWin should do the trick).
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2173

Recent:

Linux group to discuss free software in schools

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/12/26/stories/2008122650810200.htm