[News] GNU/Linux Empowers Small Developers

Interview: Bringing a community together with free software

,----[ Quote ]
| CK: This project just couldn’t have happened with Microsoft software. The
| financial, hardware and time requirements made it very suitable for
| GNU/Linux.
|
|     * Doing it in GNU/Linux made the learning experience attractive to me
|     and, so far, I’m the only resident maintaining it.
|     * There is easily available software to by-pass Microsoft proxy servers
|     and, with kids using the suite, I don’t have the time to monitor them. I
|     need a system that I can lock down and trust in.
|     * Even to run the system in Windows XP would have required serious
|     fund-raising and with that would have come the need to quantify the
|     project’s achievements. This is not that type of project; how do you
|     quantify different age and ethnic groups talking to each other? Part of
|     the attraction for some people is just to come, “footle” and natter.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/interview_bringing_community_together_free_software

Recent:

Why Google loves open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps that's because Google apparently recognizes that open source isn't
| something to be strip-mined. For open source to succeed, it must be made into
| a renewable resource. That means contributing back. It means respecting the
| community and feeding it.
|
| Google groks this. The next phase is to convince enterprise IT to contribute
| back, too, as it is the group most in need of the cost savings, innovation,
| and efficiency that open source can provide. Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst has
| been calling for greater enterprise IT participation in open-source
| communities. Let's hope they listen.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10164896-16.html

Why open source is good for Google

,----[ Quote ]
| At Google, we love open source for a few reasons. First, it speeds
| innovation. Open source lowers the barrier to entry for users, website
| owners, and application developers. It means there can be another Google, or
| another Yahoo!, started from someone's garage in Auckland or Arhus with very
| little capital required, because the building blocks for success are freely
| available.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4848596a28.html

Google augments open-source spell-check