[News] Gates Fundation[sic] Buys Monopolist

Bill Gates expands photo empire

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has acquired a 5.2 percent stake in Eastman Kodak, according to a
| regulatory filing today. The Microsoft chairman owns the shares through his
| Cascade Investment LLC investment arm and the Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Bill_Gates_expands_photo_empire_39755247.html

Related:

Bill Gates Reduces Gamco Investors Stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates' private investment vehicle, Cascade Investment LLC, reported owning
| 845,562 shares of the Rye, N.Y.-based investment management company.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080214/gamco_investors_bill_gates.html?.v=1

Bill Gates cuts stake in Gabelli's Gamco

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1442372620080214?rpc=44

And so it continues…

,----[ Quote ]
| Not surprisingly people are already trying to work out where the money leads
| to. Groklaw reckons its found a link to Bill Gates via Prince Al-Waleed bin
| Talal Al Saud. Dana Blankenhorn isn’t convinced.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/02/15/and-so-it-continues/

SCO goes private, gets $100M to keep going, McBride out?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the same release, Stephen Norris, managing partner for SNCP,
| claims that SNCP has a business plan for SCO "that will enable the company to
| see SCO's legal claims through to their full conclusion."

Quick Take: An Insane Investment in SCO

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the legal system hasn't gone entirely bonkers yet, the
| investment also sets Red Hat  (NYSE: RHT) up to follow its lawsuit against
| SCO to its logical conclusion, after the IBM suit fizzles out. If I were Red
| Hat, I'd send Stephen Norris a thank-you note. Seriously, guys -- what were
| you thinking?
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2008/02/15/quick-take-an-insane-investment-in-sco.aspx

In His Own Words: McBride

,----[ Quote ]
| Suddenly, all the "fat lady" and "it ain't over till it's over" metaphors
| were trotted out. SCO isn't dead yet, look out Linux fans!
|
| With all due respect to my colleagues in the press: puh-leeze.
|
| First off, most people with a modicum of sense knew the litigation wasn't
| over. With bankruptcy proceedings and the SCO v. everybody cases... there was
| very little chance that this was all going to fade away into the abyss. At
| most, all of these legal proceedings will enough new cash to keep things
| going faster--provided the court approves the restucturing plan. Which, as
| far as I know, the court hasn't approved yet. The York Group reorganization
| proposal was nixed, you may recall.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-15-015-26-OP-CD

Is Acacia link with Microsoft just smoke?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is all this smoke just coincidence? It may well be. But the smoke gets
| thicker by the day.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1587

Related:

Did Microsoft ruin SCO?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/did-microsoft-ruin-sco-19663

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
|                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Bill Gates fund reports 12.8 pct PlanetOut stake

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1331033020070713?rpc=44