[News] [Rival] Analysts Like Gartnersoft Just a Cash-for-Praise Service

How come Redmonk is the only analyst firm that cares about transparency?

,----[ Quote ]
| Their clients are posted clearly on their site. Every time they mention a
| client (in a blog or otherwise) they include the disclaimer. I see them as
| being more of a pulse on what's going on than a mouthpiece for clients (e.g.
| Gartner). I never feel like I have to look at their research with a
| microscope and wonder if any string manipulation is going on. I know that
| many are curious how many companies have ever been in the Gartner Magic
| Quadrant without paying fees but if Redmonk had their own, this too would be
| transparent.
`----

http://duckdown.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-come-redmonk-is-only-analyst-firm.html

Microsoft (full memo below): "[we] successfully lobbied and changed the Gartner
Group TCO model to show Windows as providing the lowest overall TCO".

[...]

"4) NC Attack Plan-"The NC is Dead"

Though we have made great s~rides to ensure the NC does not gain footholds in
any of our accounts, we can expect another big push from IBM and Sun in the
2nd half. IBM is already pushing theft NetStafions hard into accounts, and Sun
is planning on releasing their Java Stations in the first half of CY98. Our
focus will be to continue to expose the issues with the NC idea, while
communicating the benefits of Windows and our thin client strategy with Hydra
and the Windows-based Terminal.

[...]

Expose the NC as Dead to the press and analyst: We will spend a considerable
amount of our time focused on educating the press about the pitfalls of the NC
in order to generate "the NC is Dead" press articles. This will cumulate in a
press and analyst tour in March, coinciding with Interact World in LA. Prior
to the tour, we will be delivering monthly Windows TCO wins to the press, as
well as NC trial/rejecter case studies. We’ll leverage our Net.PC and WBT OEM
and Partner successes, and utilize the web, onLine news banners, and other
online delivery channels to get this information to our customers."

interoffice memo