[News] GNU/Linux Stars in Media Servers/Centres

Elisa: 47.6% more rocking than ever

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m still packaging Elisa for Mandriva, because my HTPC is still running
| Mandriva (don’t really see any need to go through unnecessary work to convert
| my servers and HTPC to Fedora, Linux is Linux…). Fedora has good Elisa
| packages already, maintained expertly by Matthias Saou, so my services are
| not required there. He doesn’t update quite as fast as me, though.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/02/17/elisa-476-more-rocking-than-ever/

How To: Turn Your Linux Rig into a Streaming Media Center

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, most people have at least one computer and a large collection of
| media files. The conventional practice for most people has always been to
| have redundant copies of their media collection on their various computers.
| While this system technically works, it is highly inefficient and creates the
| unnecessary task of keeping the media collection on each computer
| synchronized and up-to-date with the others. A far better solution is to keep
| all the media on one computer and stream it as needed to the other machines
| over the network.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_turn_your_linux_rig_a_streaming_media_center

Recent:

The BoxeeBox Cookbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Inspired by Roku’s awesome Netflix video download box and impressed with
| Boxee’s free A/V media center platform, it was merely a matter of time before
| I’d create the BoxeeBox, an Ubuntu-powered HTPC that I call my “one box to
| rule them all.” Here’s how it’s done.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/the-boxeebox-cookbook/

Why Does Everyone Heart Boxee?

,----[ Quote ]
| The buzz has been building for Boxee lately. Mainstream news outlets like The
| New York Times, BusinessWeek and NPR are getting hip to the little
| open-source media center that could quite possibly change the way you
| experience TV.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/02/06/why-does-everyone-heart-boxee/

Boxee now open to all Ubuntu, Mac, ATV users

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has just opened up its free A/V media center platform to all Ubuntu,
| Mac, and AppleTV users. Additionally, Boxee for Windows has
| entered “private-alpha” phase, during which prospective users apply for the
| software online and wait for a download link.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/boxee-now-open-to-all-ubuntu-mac-atv-users/

Boxee: Open Source Connected TV

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156759/boxee_connected_tv.html?tk=rss_news

Boxee does better

,----[ Quote ]
| So, credit where it is due - it at least looks like Boxee is trying to both
| recognize and comply with the GPL.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/boxee-does-better/

Boxee plugs into Joost, MTV Music