Re: [News] BCS Does Something Right for a Change

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

BCS = Brilliant, Brave and Beautiful Computer Society?

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Computer Society (BCS) is not an organisation I refer to much in | these posts. That's because there's not really that much intersection between | its interests and mine. BCS represents the computing establishment, if you | like, while I'm just some crazy blogging about all this weird open stuff on | the margins. | | [...] | | If we now have the pre-eminent establishment computing organisation raising | its voice in protest against the unprecedented, transformative nature of this | bill, isn't it perhaps time for the UK government to stop and think again? | Who knows? - maybe it could even ask the BCS for some sensible advice. `----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1888&blogid=14

El Gordo's lot don't do "sensible".

BCS accuses UK.gov of grabbing 'draconian' data powers

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Computing Society has joined the chorus of criticism of the way | the government has hidden major changes to data protection law in unrelated | legislation - the Coroners and Justice Bill. `----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/17/data_giveaway_wrong/

And any data they can amass on the little guy is a good thing. No matter how much it costs to implement, how secure it is, or how little actual use there is for it. George Orwell would turn in his grave if he could see the UK now. It's ridiculous.