[News] BCS Does Something Right for a Change

BCS = Brilliant, Brave and Beautiful Computer Society?

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Computer Society (BCS) is not an organisation I refer to much in
| these posts. That's because there's not really that much intersection between
| its interests and mine. BCS represents the computing establishment, if you
| like, while I'm just some crazy blogging about all this weird open stuff on
| the margins.
|
| [...]
|
| If we now have the pre-eminent establishment computing organisation raising
| its voice in protest against the unprecedented, transformative nature of this
| bill, isn't it perhaps time for the UK government to stop and think again?
| Who knows? - maybe it could even ask the BCS for some sensible advice.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1888&blogid=14

BCS accuses UK.gov of grabbing 'draconian' data powers

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Computing Society has joined the chorus of criticism of the way
| the government has hidden major changes to data protection law in unrelated
| legislation - the Coroners and Justice Bill.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/17/data_giveaway_wrong/

EU privacy chief supports Amendment 138

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Data Protection Supervisor expresses support  for Amendments 138
| and 166, which provide user safeguards against abusive practices by
| rights-holders or network operators. And he chastises the Parliament for
| giving in to pressure.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=256&Itemid=9

Related:

How Healthy are the Views of the BCS?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is very worrying: if Britain's leading computing institution thinks that
| Internet Explorer is the acme of safe, fast, standards-based browsing, it
| could probably do with some healthcare itself.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1246&blogid=14

British Computer Society hangs up on Microsoft call

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Computer Society, BCS, is not going to heed Microsoft's call for
| another over-arching framework to certify technical architects, Computer
| Business Review has learned.
`----

http://cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=2AA3F373-73BE-4E7A-94B0-D0F6B118BC40

Linux to overtake Windows?