[News] Why Patent Could be Scam for Lawyers and Monopolists

If Patents Are Supposed To Support The Independent Inventor, Why Isn't There An
Independent Invention Defense?

,----[ Quote ]
| Joe Mullin has written up an interesting post, talking about how almost no
| patent infringement lawsuits involve accusations that one firm
| specifically "copied" the other. Traditionally, of course, if you think about
| intellectual property or the way most people view intellectual property --
| and you hear that someone's been accused of patent infringement, their first
| thought is that the invention was "copied" or (as some incorrectly
| claim) "stolen." Yet, the evidence suggests that this is rarely, if ever, the
| case.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090212/1251553749.shtml

Recent:

A cheneyian view of software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Call me pessimistic if you wish: Bad habits take a long time to die.
| Sometimes, they don’t even disappear at all. They keep on surviving. This
| time, it seems that Microsoft has decided to roam around and privateer
| against anything that looks even remotely like a company that could use
| patents on software. This is how Microsoft announced an agreement
| on “Intellectual Property” with Brother, focused on printing technology. Now,
| as Matt Asay has rightfully pointed out, Microsoft does not manufacture nor
| design printers, but the hell with it! Printers are like the rest, a whole
| bunch of patentable paraphenalia anyone with capital should invest into.
| Note: The point is not to invest in printers themselves, it is to patent
| everything you can imagine is patentable.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2009/02/10/a-cheneyian-view-of-software-patents/

Peer-to-Patent and Article One Drag the Reclusive Patent Onto the Thoroughfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Patenting used to be a lonely pursuit. Patent applicants would work in
| isolation, secrecy being their only protection before the patent application
| was filed. The patent would be granted or rejected in a pas de deux involving
| just applicant and examiner. Once a patent was granted, licensing battles
| were also fought mano a mano while other potential infringers watched
| anxiously from the sidelines.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/peer-to-patent-and-article-one.html

Related: