[News] Debian GNU/Linux Hot in the News, Reviewed

Latest Debian Linux release ideal for recession hit UK enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's only government-approved open source supplier announced today that
| the latest release of Debian Linux is ideal for enterprises looking to save
| money in the recession. Sirius Corporation claims that Debian 5.0,
| codenamed 'Lenny', includes new security and high performance virtualisation
| features that make it the most capable and affordable Linux distribution to
| date.
`----

http://www.sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=45525&hilite=

First look at Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 live CD and network installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian GNU/Linux is the one of the oldest surviving, independently developed
| Linux distribution and the grand-daddy of many others, including the ever
| popular Ubuntu. Each release is named after a character from the Pixar
| animated movie 'Toy Story', and so as it is with 'Lenny' - the pair of
| binoculars with feet. Debian is unique in that the project is entirely
| community driven and is one of the largest open source projects in the world.
| It is governed by two major documents, the Debian Constitution and the Social
| Contract, the latter being at the centre of the recent firmware debate.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090216#feature

Debian's Lenny offers enterprises open-source option

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian 5.0, known as Lenny, will offer users improved security handling. For
| example, as an added protection measure, Debian Installer will now apply any
| security updates before the first boot.
| In addition, several security-critical packages have been built with GCC
| hardening features, and the standard system contains fewer setuid root
| binaries and fewer open ports. Other new features include support for IPv6,
| NFS 4, PostgreSQL 8.3.5, MySQL 5.1.30 and 5.0.51a, Samba 3.2.5, PHP 5.2.6,
| Asterisk 1.4.21.2, Nagios 3.06 and the Xen Hypervisor 3.2.1.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=110898&pagtype=samechan

Recent:

Debian Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I haven't tried plain Debian in years, though I've used derivatives, such as
| Knoppix and (K)Ubuntu recently.  I am pretty impressed.
`----

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2008/11/debian-linux.html

Debian Etch on The Self-Reliant Thin Client

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm running what I call The Self-Reliant Thin Client on Debian Etch, a
| GNU/Linux distribution I haven't run intensively in quite some time. I also
| recently installed the PowerPC build of Etch on my Power Macintosh G4/466,
| but I've been using the converted thin client almost exclusively since I
| built it last week using an 8 GB Compact Flash module as the system's sole
| hard drive.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/10/debian-etch-on-the-self-relian.html

Related:

Deploying KDE [+Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html