[News] Review of Blobs-Rich Ubuntu Linux Derivative (Linux Mint 6)

Review: Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest LXF magazine arrived with Linux Mint 6, Slackware 12.2, and
| openSuse 11.1.  I was originally going to review openSuse, but I have been
| unable to successfully boot either into VirtualBox or just by booting my
| computer and running it as a LiveDVD.  (ed. note:  I just checked the
| magazine and they suggested booting in failsafe mode, so I’ll try that out in
| a couple of days)  So, we’ll be starting with Linux Mint 6.  I reviewed Linux
| Mint 5 Light back in July 2008.  Since I wasn’t using VirtualBox at the time,
| I only tested it as a LiveDVD and that may have been the source of some of my
| problems testing the software installation.  Plus this time I can review the
| installation process.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2009/02/15/review-linux-mint-6/

Recent:

Review: Linux Mint 6 “Felicia”

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Ubuntu 8.10, you might pass Linux Mint off as being yet another
| Ubuntu spin-off, though Mint has been around now for while (first release was
| on the 27th of August, 2006) and it's still a popular distribution, sitting
| in the number 3 spot on the Distrowatch page hit ranks.
`----

http://www.headshotgamer.com/review.aspx?id=105

Linux Mint 6.0 Felicia - Minty and sweet

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint 6.0 Felicia is a fabulous distro. It's complete, well-polished,
| fast, simple, rich in features, and offering solid hardware support. It
| worked well with both my Nvidia and ATI cards and even loved my web camera.
| There were some small issues with a Wireless drivers and some mundane Windows
| media formats, but other than that, the performance was spotless.
|
| Compiz, MP3, Flash, even Skype worked out of the box. Reading and writing to
| NTFS drives was a breeze. The distro was beautiful and stable. The
| installation was simple. Superb.
|
| Felicia is a great choice for everyone, be they Windows users of all
| persuasions, new Linux users or even veterans. It has something for everyone.
| Combined with the healthy Ubuntu community that sort of shadows Linux Mint as
| a sort of an unofficial chaperon, a well written User Guide, and the now
| standard friendliness of Ubuntu-based distros, you're in for a great, minty
| treat.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-felicia.html

DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics in 2007 and 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The star distribution of 2008 was undoubtedly Linux Mint, a project which has
| been successful in enhancing a standard Ubuntu and GNOME with a variety of
| user-friendly tools and features. Other operating systems rising noticeably
| in the ranking were Dreamlinux, Puppy Linux, FreeBSD, gOS and PC-BSD. On the
| other hand, severals distributions have fallen over the past year, most
| noticeably Freespire, KNOPPIX, Zenwalk Linux, Gentoo Linux and MEPIS Linux.
| Overall though, it's the same old story - the Ubuntu, openSUSE and Fedora
| pages continue getting most hits year after year, with only an
| occasional "outsider" upsetting the dominant trio.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090105

Review: Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd give Linux Mint 6 a big thumbs up. There were a few things that annoyed
| me about it, but those are minor and easy to disable if you're willing to do
| a little tweaking. But out of the box it's quite nice. I've been repeatedly
| impressed with the Linux Mint developers before, and I'm still impressed with
| them.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=505

Linux Mint 6

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Mint-specific additions in this release is impressive. It's
| good to see that the team isn't just focused on slapping on a different coat
| of paint and calling it a day. More offshoot distributions should follow this
| example. Don't just embrace, extend as well!
|
| In the past I've been both impressed and disappointed by Mint because
| although it added several useful out-of-the-box features to a solid Ubuntu
| base, it just wasn't different enough for me to justify using it over its
| parent. This release has a number of substantive differences that if further
| developed will address that issue quite nicely.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/linuxmint6.htm

Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” released!

,----[ Quote ]