Re: Windows Vista Unsuitable for Serious Audio Work

Doctor Smith (Gary M. Stewart AKA Flatfish) wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/890219813.asp
>>
>> [quote]
>> Windows Vista
>>
>> Vista has brought a new way of 'protecting' audio/video
>> content from unauthorized copying (a.k.a. copyright
>> infringement) that has limited the functionality of many
>> audio and video peripherals.
>>
>> According to
>> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
>> there is much disabling of functionality introduced by
>> Vista's new audio/video content protection features. The
>> most obvious is the loss of the Stereo Mix function (ability
>> to record "what you hear") in most soundcards. This is not a
>> technical limitation of the product, it is purely a
>> by-product of Vista's new content protection features.
>>
>> Another common problem is difficulty in getting the AC3
>> Pass-Through to work through the optical S/PDIF Output
>> (Toslink output). You may need a newer version of your DVD
>> playing software in order to get this to work. We have
>> thoroughly tested the S/PDIF Outputs on our soundcard
>> products, and they all are able to pass Dolby Digital or dts
>> encoded digital audio with no problems. Vista does limit the
>> sampling rate to 48kHz, however. [/quote]
>>
>> http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/890220385.asp
>>
>> [quote]
>> VTB General FAQs - FAQs
>>
>> Windows Vista Quirks (some of them) - Audio Mixer - MIDI Not
>> Available
>>
>> Perhaps the most exasperating thing about Vista is the
>> security feature called: "User Account Control". UAC,
>> satirized in an Apple (AAPL) ad as a security guy who
>> constantly interrupts a conversation, appears as a pop-up
>> asking permission before Windows will do a number of things:
>> change system settings, install programs, or update
>> antivirus software. UAC may well be necessary to block
>> malicious programs from secretly installing themselves or
>> hijacking your browser settings. But Microsoft has designed
>> it to drive you nuts. Unfortunately, turning off UAC is not
>> an option, as it severely weakens Vista's defenses.
>>
>> *****************************
>>
>> Vista presents many challenges for soundcard manufacturers,
>> mainly from its more stringent DRM and content-copyright
>> protection schemes, which do not allow for such familiar
>> features as the Stereo Mix.
>>
>> *****************************
>>
>> AUDIO MIXER:
>> Remember the Audio Mixer as included in all previous Windows
>> versions?
>> Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume
>> Control Or from the Run Command: "sndvol32.exe"
>> Unfortunately, this is no longer available in Windows Vista.
>> Try to Run this command in Vista and you will get an error.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> *****************************
>>
>> DEVICE UNAVAILABLE:
>> Start > Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Under Microphone
> [...]

Oh yeah, ad hominem Gary who nymshifted as collie4roy@xxxxxxxxx
and singer42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, who advises people to spend $5,000
for a Windows XP home recording studio because he can't get a
simple real time Linux image patch installed and does the DFS
thing, quoting Linux problems that were already patched.

It is captured in all its glory here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/msg/466f9bcf6460c663

To see the whole Gary anti-Linux spiel thread, one only need to
click "Message from discussion" link.

Then dropped its crosspost to COLA, hoping I would not see its
reply:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/msg/4b36b49bfddcd246

There is an MO for all this:

http://tinyurl.com/6m6a8c