Re: [News] Chrome for GNU/Linux Chooses GTK+

  • Subject: Re: [News] Chrome for GNU/Linux Chooses GTK+
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 06:40:19 +0000
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:asHwvjmRxg6KPonuKUCWursyur4=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Linux Version of Chrome To Use Gtk+
[...]
> http://osnews.com/story/20980/Linux_Version_of_Chrome_To_Use_Gtk_

[quote]
Google "[avoids] cross platform UI toolkits because while they may offer
what superficially appears to be a quick path to native looking UI on a
variety of target platforms, once you go a bit deeper it turns out to be
a bit more problematic." Your applications end up "speaking with a
foreign accent", he adds. In addition, Goodger claims that using
something like Qt "limits what you can do to a lowest common denominator
subset of what's supported by that framework on each platform."
[/quote]

So much for Matt's theories.

Personally, I happen to think Goodger is talking bullshit, but this is
nonetheless his perception of cross-platform development. Google are (or
will be) essentially rewriting the same application three times over,
for three different platforms, because they don't like (or more
accurately, don't seem to understand) cross-platform development strategies.

So my question for Matt is, will Google's approach "alienate 90% of
[Chrome's] potential developers"?

Or will the GNU/Linux port attract GNU/Linux developers, the Windows
port attract Windows developers, and the Mac port attract Mac
developers, as three distinct groups?

Google's approach may be /technically/ wrong, but IMHO it is
(unintentionally) /idealistically/ correct. Let's keep platform
development paradigms, and their associated developers (and potential
Intellectual Monopolies) firmly /separated/. If the Mac and Windows
developers want to mimic GNU/Linux, then that's one thing, but when it's
flowing the other way, /into/ GNU/Linux, and invariably poisoning it,
that's another.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It
|  is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." ~ William
|  Pitt the Younger

 06:39:59 up 101 days, 14:22,  4 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.07, 1.13