[News] Music Business Models Change Like in Free Software

Advertising-paid music downloads ready

,----[ Quote ]
| FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD COMPANY Qtrax has signed up the last major recording
| company to its service.
|
| The company miffed some players in the music industry when it launched last
| year before any of them had signed up to the deal.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/962/1050962/advertising-paid-music-downloads-ready

IntraHealth Tackles Global Health Care: Aided by Music, Open Source, and Public
Health Pioneers

,----[ Quote ]
| Public health workers are increasingly looking at open source solutions to
| aid in gathering data, analyzing trends, and publicizing and launching new
| health care initiatives worldwide.
|
| IntraHealth's OPEN Initiative is taking a colorful approach to improving
| health services in developing nations -- by bringing together health workers
| and (not at all health care specific) open source projects to train and
| support doctors and nurses using open source software in these areas. Because
| funding is always an issue (in public health and open source, alas)
| IntraHealth has gotten some help from some legends in the music industry, who
| have put together a charity album to raise awareness for the Initiative's
| efforts, as well as offset program costs.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Its-OK-to-Love-Linux---Just-Dont-Looooooooooove-Linux-66163.html

Recent:

Once Again, Give It Away And Pray Isn't A Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| There's an odd article over at TorrentFreak, which is usually quite good and
| reliable. This one starts out with a title announcing that Nine Inch Nails'
| Donation Model Doesn't Work for Most Artists. That's a questionable assertion
| from the very start, because Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails, for the most
| part, haven't used a donation model. Instead, Reznor has very much focused on
| using free as a part of a business model built around giving fans scarcities
| to buy. Yet, TorrentFreak falsely states that Reznor made $1.6 million using
| a "donation" model. That's simply untrue. He made $1.6 million by selling
| scarce goods.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081026/1928532642.shtml

Neil Gaiman: Piracy vs. Obscurity

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday, 24th October, I attended an Open Rights Group event where Neil
| Gaiman spoke about the impact of digital “piracy” on authors such as himself.
| His thesis was that the free availability of content from books, even when it
| is contemporaneously for sale in print, is in fact beneficial for the
| creator.  This is, he said, because their greatest challenge, in a world
| crowded with writers, is to be “tasted” by potential readers and publishers.
|
| He recounted a few of his own experiences with publishing free content on his
| website, noting that in each instance, the net effect was an increase in his
| book sales.
`----

http://mdzlog.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/neil-gaiman-piracy-vs-obscurity/

Bryan Adams pulls a Prince on fan sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Canadian soft rocker Bryan Adams is the latest star to grumble at fans for
| plastering his name and face on unofficial websites.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/27/everything_i_do_i_do_it_for_me/

Related:

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

Brit violinist does a Radiohead