[News] Linux Phones Challenge the iPhone

Can the $99 iPhone beat off 40 new Androids?

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you an Android or an iPhone? Maybe you are undecided, which could be he
| best position to be in as it seems that the smartphone market is set to be
| spoilt for choice in 2009. It would appear that Apple is set to release no
| less than three new iPhones this year while the competing Android powered
| camp could be flooded with no less than 40 new handsets.

iPhone Linux Hack: What It Means

,----[ Quote ]
| Until now, few people have bothered to replace operating systems running on
| their smartphones, the way they already replace their Windows with Linux on
| PCs. Mobile operating system vendors like Microsoft grew their market shares
| by striking deals with handset makers and carriers to integrate their
| software into the carriers’ line-ups.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/12/iphone_linux_ha.html

Linux finally loaded onto iPhone!

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux fans who have been waiting for Linux to come the iPhone and iPod Touch
| need wait no longer – the breakthrough has finally been made, years after
| Linux found its way onto earlier iPod models. There’s a way to go before the
| project is mature, with plenty of things, including touchscreen support, yet
| to come. Still - Linux on the iPhone is here, at last!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21985/1168/

First steps for Linux on iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux on the iPhone project has released the first results of its work.
| The current port of Linux includes a bootloader, OpeniBoot, which allows the
| user to select booting either the iPhone OS or the Linux port. This first
| port is very limited though, as the demonstration video that has been
| released shows, there is no touchscreen support for interacting with the
| device; instead a USB console is used to type commands.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/First-steps-for-Linux-on-iPhone--/112100

Related:

The iPhone Is Now Doomed