[News] [Rival] Even Diehard Microsoft Employees Get the Sack as Company Enters Debt

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Even Diehard Microsoft Employees Get the Sack as Company Enters Debt
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 00:16:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why a Microsoft Logo Makes a Bad Tattoo

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s generally a good rule of thumb to avoid tattoos of your company’s logo.
|
| For Microsoft solutions adviser Dan Woodman, that advice, unfortunately, came
| a little too late.
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29000256

Recent:

Bob the Impaler

,----[ Quote ]
| Next let’s consider how big a layoff this really is – 1400 people right away
| and up to 5000 by sometime in 2010.  Microsoft has, depending on how you
| count it, about 100,000 employees.  If the average time in service is 10
| years that implies that 10 percent of the Microsoft workforce leaves every
| year, which feels about right.  That’s 10,000 folks leaving of their own
| accord EVERY YEAR.  So what does this layoff mean, anyway?  “Over the next
| two years we’ll be eliminating 5000 positions.”  It means nothing.
|
| [...]
|
| So unlike every other public company, Microsoft traditionally manages its
| earnings not by cutting expenses but by increasing spending.  It’s a legacy
| technique invented years ago by legendary CFO Frank Gaudette and embraced by
| Bill Gates and Jon Shirley because it accomplished the task of meeting Wall
| Street expectations, allowed the company to hide spectacular true profit
| margins, while still generally keeping anti-trust officials off Microsoft’s
| back.
|
| [...]
|
| Instead of 5000 positions, the company should drop 50,000.  It should decide
| what businesses it is in and close or sell the rest.  It should be a lot
| better than it is at running its true core – the muscle that’s been hiding
| beneath all that fat.
`----

http://www.cringely.com/2009/01/bob-the-impaler/

PerformancePoint Server, Microsoft datacenters feel the pinch

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Microsoft’s Global Foundation Services (GFS) team is, indeed,
| among those taking a hit.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1843

Microsoft should have made deeper cuts, analysts contend

,----[ Quote ]
| The unprecedented layoffs and other cutbacks announced yesterday by Microsoft
| haven't appeased Wall Street. Microsoft shares are down more than 6 percent
| since the news came out, and some analysts assert that the company needed to
| go much further.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_should_have_made_deeper_cuts_analysts_contend38239219.html

Related:

Microsoft's Accounting Under Scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has still not made enough information public to provide analysts
| with detailed information on the profitability of its MSN Internet business,
| Mr. Galvin said, adding, ''There's still room for them to obfuscate.''
`----

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A03E1DC173DF932A35754C0A96F958260

Microsoft - Undeserving of Libertarian Praise

,----[ Quote ]
| One strategy that Microsoft has employed in the past is paying for the
| silence of people and companies. Charles Pancerzewski, formerly Microsoft's
| chief auditor, became aware of Microsoft's practice of carrying earnings from
| one accounting period into another, known as "managing earnings". This
| practice smoothes reported revenue streams, increases share value, and
| misleads employees and shareholders. In addition to being unethical, it's
| also illegal under U.S. Securities Law and violates Generally Accepted
| Accounting Practices (Fink). Mr. Pancerzewski claims he was forced to retire,
| for raising the issue of deferred earnings with Microsoft executives, thereby
| making plausible deniability more difficult for said executives. He has since
| sued Microsoft, who responded by settling out of court, but also sealing the
| records to prevent public disclosure (Fink).
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/8/20/11034/3908

Microsoft Agrees To Refrain From Accounting Violations in SEC Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has agreed to refrain from accounting violations to settle federal
| regulators' allegations that it misrepresented its financial performance, the
| government announced Monday.
|
| Under a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the software
| giant neither admitted to nor denied wrongdoing. No fine was imposed.
|
| The SEC alleged that Microsoft's accounting practices from July 1994 through
| June 1998 caused its income to be substantially misstated.
`----

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18819490

"Microsoft Tax," MSN Enters the Black Hole, New Names for NT

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit, filed last year by Mukilteo City Councilman Charles
| Pancerzewski, alleges that he was forced to resign as Microsoft's general
| auditor in January 1996 after working for the company's internal auditing
| department for more than four years. The suit claims that a "significantly
| younger man" with little auditing experience was picked to replace
| Pancerzewski, who was finally forced out because he discovered Microsoft
| might have been violating government regulations. Once Pancerzewski left the
| company he was replaced by the younger man, who his attorneys believe
| was "less prone to raise issues of possible legal improprieties which could
| threaten or embarrass Microsoft or its management.
`----

http://www.msboycott.com/news/98_06_22.shtml

SEC Investigating Microsoft Practices -- Earnings Manipulated, Former Employee
Contends

,----[  Quote]
| "The CFO to whom Charlie was reporting his concerns about illegality was the
| biggest advocate for the very illegality that was going on," Vial argued in
| court a year ago.
`----

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990701&slug=2969514

Microfraud?