[News] Proprietary Software = Degradation of Human Rights

Re: A balance of freedoms

,----[ Quote ]
| Something that many fail to understand is the fact that proprietary software
| is designed to divide society. Think about how this relates to Skype. The
| masters over Skype say, "Come use our Skype software, it is very convenient
| and it will let you do X, Y and Z. However, you must agree to this set of
| conditions before you are allowed to install and use Skype onto your
| computer". Basically, the set of conditions are intended for the masters of
| Skype to maintain complete control over their software. As a result of when
| you choose to accept the conditions, you would also choose to give up your
| freedom.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/blog/re-balance-freedoms

Putting freedom back in software

,----[ Quote ]
| The father of the free software movement descended into a packed room at
| Concordia Monday explaining to 125 people why freedom is just as important in
| software as it is in the rest of life.
|
| Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation and lead architect
| of the GNU Project – which developed part of the GNU/Linux operating system –
| stressed that there is an ethical requirement to use software that is “free
| as in freedom, not as in beer.”
`----

http://www.mcgilldaily.com/article/17536

Related:

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html