[News] LF/OIN Project Fights Patents, Brother Stabs Linux in the Back

Group aims to defend Linux from bad patents

,----[ Quote ]
| A group has been formed to help protect Linux from being undermined by
| poor-quality software patents.
|
| Linux Defenders, launched on Monday, aims to enlist the developer community's
| help in finding 'prior art' related to patents affecting open-source code.
| Prior art is information relevant to a claim of originality in a patent. If
| examples of work are collected that show an invention has been described in
| prior art before the patent was granted, then that patent is invalidated.
|
| The sponsors of Linux Defenders are the Open Invention Network (OIN), the
| Software Freedom Law Center and the Linux Foundation.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39610702,00.htm

Microsoft and Brother Enter Broad Patent Cross-Licensing Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| Agreement will cover intellectual property contained in printers and
| multifunctional products, including certain Linux-based technologies.
|
| [...]
|
| Through this agreement, Brother Industries will gain access to Microsoft's
| patents for Brother's current and future product lines, including
| multifunction products (MFPs), printers and certain Linux-based embedded
| devices.
`----

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-04-2009/0004966728&EDATE=

Recent:

Linux patent pool to push for 'defensive publication'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/080808-linux-patent-pool-to-push.html