[News] [Rival] Microsoft Screws Americans with Laws It Fraudulently Bought with Abramoff

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Screws Americans with Laws It Fraudulently Bought with Abramoff
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:57:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft faces more heat over foreign workers and layoff plans

,----[ Quote ]
| In many ways, this is no surprise. Microsoft has lobbied for years to relax
| the restrictions on the program, letting more foreign workers participate.
| But the timing in relation to the layoffs is raising eyebrows among some of
| its critics.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/More_heat_for_Microsoft_over_H-1B_Visas_and_layoffs38824482.html

Microsoft Layoff Sparks H-1B Debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Layoff announcements by IT vendors came fast and furious over the past two
| weeks. But it was Microsoft Corp.'s that drew the attention of a U.S.
| senator, who said it was "imperative" that the company give job priority to
| U.S. citizens over foreigners with H-1B visas.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158759/microsoft_layoff_h1b.html?tk=rss_news

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

                                        --Philippe Kahn

Related:

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Microsoft layoffs have minimal impact in China; no immediate cuts in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Roughly 40 percent of Microsoft's 96,000 employees work outside the United
| States. The company has subsidiaries in countries from Albania to Zimbabwe.
| How are the layoffs announced last week impacting Microsoft's employees
| around the globe?
|
| [...]
|
| The Economic Times, part of Indiatimes, quoted a Microsoft spokesperson in
| New Delhi last week saying of the layoff, "It's not going to impact us. No
| job cuts in India."
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2009/01/27/microsoft_layoffs_have_minimal_impact_in_china_no.html

S'pore spared from Microsoft job cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| 'I can confirm that the number of employees affected by the immediate job
| eliminations is a single-digit number across Asia-Pacific, excluding China,
| India and Japan,' a company spokeswoman told BizIT.
`----

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/News/Office/Story/A1Story20090128-117699.html

Boise workers to be affected by Microsoft job cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| The company would not disclose an exact number of layoffs in Boise, but
| sources said the local impact would be less than a dozen jobs.
`----

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2009/01/27/Boise-workers-to-be-affected-by-Microsoft-job-cuts

Senator Wants Microsoft Job Cuts to Target Foreigners

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/senator-tells-microsoft-its-job-cuts-should-target-foreigners

Senator Quizzes Microsoft On Layoffs

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/senator_quizes.html

Senator Questions Microsoft's H-1B Plans

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Senator-Questions-Microsofts-H1B-Plans/

Fire foreign workers first: Rep Sen to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Majority of the 60,000 professionals given H-1B visa every year are from
| India.
|
| "Microsoft has a moral obligation to protect these American workers by
| putting them first during these difficult economic times," the Senator said.
`----

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/fire-foreign-workers-first-rep-sen-to-microsoft/415082/

Microsoft's H-1B Visa Controversy

,----[ Quote ]
| It was only last March that Bill Gates himself argued to Congress that the
| H-1B visa limits needed to be lifted, because Microsoft just couldn't get
| enough skilled workers. But Microsoft was going through a crazy manic phase
| back then, as evidenced by its Yahoo infatuation. Now that Microsoft needs
| fewer skilled workers, should the H-1Bs get the ax first?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/microsofts_h1b.html

Microsoft Job Cuts, Visas Questioned by Senator

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Microsoft-Job-Cuts-Visas-Questioned-by-Senator/

Open source developers face H1-B visa puzzle

,----[ Quote ]
| Many very capable open source developers don’t have a college degree and the
| program does not easily accommodate them.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/082007-open-source-h1-b.html

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to descend on Capitol Hill
| next week to pepper a U.S. Senate committee with his suggestions for
| boosting American competitiveness.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6163930.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376