[News] Failed Banks Try to Learn from Free Software Success

Davos09: Open Bank

,----[ Quote ]
| They proposed the Open Bank. It would feature radical transparency: full
| disclosure of performance and compensation. The group decided that a banker
| should not sell a product unless he could pass a test about it. They even
| decided that there had to be a means to confirm that customers understood
| what they were buying. They proposed collective risk assessment, creating a
| means for its constituents to select and perhaps vote on investments. They
| explored how to offer transparency on each product and customers’ performance
| with them so that you could compare your returns with fellow customers. And
| they argued that bankers should be compensated on profit. It wouldn’t be an
| easy business to run; being answerable is hard. I said later that its slogan
| should be, “the only bank you can trust.” That is what would make it
| successful. When I asked, most in the room said they would be such a bank’s
| customers; many said they’d work for it; almost everyone said they’d invest
| in it.
`----

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2009/02/01/davos09-open-bank/

Recent:

PSBank migrates to IBM Syztem z for Linux application

,----[ Quote ]
| PSBank also said it has decided to migrate its database to IBM System z. The
| country’s second-largest bank will use the System z mainframe for seven
| Linux-based online transaction processor (OLTP) applications and its data
| warehouse, according to data obtained by the BusinessMirror from IBM
| Philippines.
`----

http://businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1757:psbank-migrates-to-ibm-syztem-z-for-linux-application&catid=25:bankingandfinance

Arab National Bank Selects Symark International’s PowerSeries Solutions to
Manage Privileged Access and Meet Compliance Requirements

,----[ Quote ]
| Symark’s PowerPassword solves these issues by providing UNIX/Linux user
| account management in addition to login and password security policies for
| resources stored and local accounts on UNIX and Linux servers.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080818005120&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/5k5h34

Bank of America may finally embrace Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| "As the usage of Firefox browsers has increased with our customer base, we
| will be initiating a full support model for Firefox version 2.x in the very
| near future," spokeswoman Tara Burke told Networkworld.com.
|
| Think "the very near future" will prove to be very soon? Don't bank on it.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9986201-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Suncorp envisages Linux, ODF for 20,000 desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is set to play an increasingly important role at
| Australia's sixth largest bank, according to Smith, who said that Suncorp
| will look to use open source "wherever we can".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Suncorp-envisages-Linux-ODF-for-20-000-desktops/0,130061733,339289679,00.htm?omnRef=1337

FNB switches 12 000 desktops to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With 12 000 desktops switching to Linux this is very likely the
| most significant Linux and open source implementation in South
| Africa to date.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1562

Oracle easy meat for Red Hat Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| He said Red Hat was currently working with a "large bank", whom he kept
| anonymous, to introduce Linux into its IT environment.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22646223-5013040,00.html

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569