[News] Helios Starts Project for GNU/Linux on the Air

Linux Community Begins Crafting Radio Ad

,----[ Quote ]
| So when does it run? Who gets to run it? Who knows...? We are working several
| funding angles now. These spots are going to be, for some, the first
| information they've heard about linux. If you decide you want to submit your
| own original work, keep this in mind. But it's open source so make it what
| you want. Just remember, this raw source belongs to the community and is
| released under Creative Commons licensing.

Radio Modem offers Internet access and Linux platform.

,----[ Quote ]
| SATELLAR Digital System with TCP/IP-capabilities and Linux can run software
| applications as well as operating system, IP-router, and web configuration
| server. Different units can be combined to construct radio modem with
| functionalities for specific location; radio unit (basic building block) can
| be used to access RS-232-based devices or act as a radio repeater, while
| central unit, with TCP/IP-capabilities and Linux platform, can be added to
| locations where more functionality is needed.

Tangent Quattro is a solid Internet radio

,----[ Quote ]
| For an entertaining example of how Linux can power home appliances, check out
| the Tangent Quattro Internet radio. This device combines Internet and
| broadcast radio with a media server client on an embedded Linux platform to
| give you a variety of audio playback options.
| [...]
| At $350 street price, the Quattro costs $150 more than another Linux-based
| Internet radio, the Com One Phoenix, which we reviewed earlier this year. The
| Quattro's media server playback capabilities are absent in the Phoenix, and
| the Quattro's audio has better sound, but the Phoenix lets you attach a USB
| drive and play any music files on it, and it offers two more preset buttons
| that the Quattro. I'd give the Phoenix an edge in value, but the Quattro
| leads in looks and audio aesthetics.

Open-source radio technology: Now available for process engineering

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the technological progress of fieldbus in process automation, the
| next development step in field communication is that of solutions involving
| radio technology. Can radio technology be used on an “across the board”
| basis? Based on open standards, the HART Communication Foundation provides
| the answer with WirelessHART.

Linux-powered internet radio platform raises potential for third party

,----[ Quote ]
| Pure, the British company best known for its DAB digital radios, has launched
| its first radio capable of receiving internet stations along with an
| iTunes-like web-based media portal it has dubbed the ‘Pure Lounge’.

Linux radio keeps it simple

,----[ Quote ]
| Pure has announced an Internet radio that runs embedded Linux and provides FM
| and DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) playback. The Evoke Flow radio offers
| WiFi connectivity and media streaming from a connected PC, and is paired with
| a Internet search portal called the Pure Lounge.
| According to Pure, which bills itself as "the UK's leading radio
| manufacturer," the Evoke Flow's design is based on its earlier Evoke-1S DAB
| radio, currently available for about $180, but with fewer buttons. The DAB
| format is said to be the leading digital audio broadcast format in the UK,
| and is now spreading throughout Europe.

Radio NZ rolls out Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| Hulse says the use of Ogg Vorbis has been in the planning stage for a while,
| but was delayed while he worked out a way to rationalise Radio New Zealand’s
| storage.

Collaborative Radio Shows Invite Listeners into Creative Process

,----[ Quote ]
| Greta Pemberton, the Blogger in Chief for Open Source, told me
| the show averaged about 150,000 listeners on-air per week and
| 150,000 downloads of its podcast per month.

Digipup: A Linux live CD for amateur radio

,----[ Quote ]
| With Digipup, you can verify compatibility with your amateur radio
| rig, your logs, and your inner nature without going to the trouble
| of installing a Linux distribution to do so. Just plop Digipup in
| your CD drive, boot the system, and there you are.

An adventure in Iraqi freedom with Streamtime and FLOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Van der Spek wanted to create hundreds of small radio stations by
| turning workstations into Internet broadcasting machines using Dyne:bolic,
| a live Linux CD optimized with all the necessary digital media software.
| Dyne:bolic runs on almost any kind of Intel hardware and doesn't need to
| be installed on the hard drive. Because it runs in RAM, it leaves no
| permanent trace of its presence on the workstation, making it safe for use
| by those in occupied territories who might risk prosecution if authorities
| discovered a rogue radio broadcast.

Linux-based Audiobot Pro broadcasts your own radio station

,----[ Quote ]
| The aptly-named Audiobot Pro is a Linux-based device which enables
| customers to "distribute audio to radio stations and music venues."
| Made for those who adore simplicity, you simply connect up an audio
| source and it "automatically records, formats, and uploads MP3
| recordings to any website."

Radio Open Source Gets $250K MacArthur Grant

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking of funding for public broadcasting, yesterday the Public
| Radio International show Radio Open Source announced it's received
| a $250,000 grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur
| Foundation "in support of the innovative use of Internet-based
| tools in the production of a daily public radio program."

KRUU, open source radio

,----[ Quote ]
| Amongst other things, it seems, he meant that KRUU has made a
| commitment to use only Open Source software. As KRUU founder
| Roland Wells explained on Open Views, all KRUU's PCs run on the
| GNU/Linux operating system, and the audio editing tools (Ardour
| and Audacity) used by DJs at the station are also Open Source.

Open Source Radio is A Sound Salvation

,----[ Quote ]
| The song sharply criticizes the commercialization of mainstream
| radio ("They;re saying things that I can hardly believe") and one
| can only imagine the shock NBC executives experienced that night
| considering their radio station was the very sort Costello
| condemned. Performing "Radio Radio" without warning at SNL got
| Costello banned from the show for 12 years.
| [...]
| But new media and technology is finally reversing the trend of putting
| "the radio in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anaesthetize
| the way that you feel," as Costello would put it.

Open source Campcaster empowers independent radio broadcasters

Radio goes the open source route

Linux radio suite powers independent broadcasters