[News] Turning GNU/Linux to Cloud O/S, Media Centre, Etc.

eyeOS: Clouds for the Crowd

,----[ Quote ]
| Cloud computing from the likes of Google and Amazon has become quite the rage
| in the last few years. Nick Carr's The Big Switch and other works have
| pointed toward a future of “utility” computing where we'll all use hosted
| apps and storage, thanks to the “scale” provided by big back-end companies
| and their giant hardware and software farms. But, there also has been
| pushback. Most notable among the nay-sayers is Richard M. Stallman, who calls
| it “worse than stupidity” and “a trap”.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/eyeos-clouds-crowd

Tech review: Boxee software easily brings together movies, music, Internet
videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, Windows users, Boxee is only for Macintosh or Linux computers. You can
| download it from www.boxee.tv. There is also a version for Apple TV boxes,
| but Apple doesn't support such software, so if it causes problems you're on
| your own.
`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/ptech/stories/DN-p2techreview_30bus.ART.State.Edition1.46f0f42.html

Recent:

Boxee does better
,----[ Quote ]
| So, credit where it is due - it at least looks like Boxee is trying to both
| recognize and comply with the GPL.
`----

http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/boxee-does-better/

Boxee plugs into Joost, MTV Music

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, Boxee will be totally opening up its Mac, Linux, and Apple TV
| alphas to anyone who wants to sign up. The Windows version, however, will not
| be entering an open alpha, but rather an invite-only alpha while it scales.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13515_3-10136340-26.html

Boxee now open to all Ubuntu, Mac, ATV users

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has just opened up its free A/V media center platform to all Ubuntu,
| Mac, and AppleTV users. Additionally, Boxee for Windows has
| entered “private-alpha” phase, during which prospective users apply for the
| software online and wait for a download link.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/boxee-now-open-to-all-ubuntu-mac-atv-users/

Boxee: Open Source Connected TV

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156759/boxee_connected_tv.html?tk=rss_news