[News] Migrations to GNU/Linux Start with... GNU/Linux

Migrating Away From Windows: It All Starts With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever a person or business is thinking of migrating away from Microsoft
| Windows to Linux, or to FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, or some other FOSS operating
| system, the two most important considerations are:
|
| 1. Take the long view. The idea is to build a sustainable, future-proof
| computing infrastructure.
| 2. It all starts with the operating system. Sure, there are a lot of
| wonderful FOSS applications that run on Windows, such as OpenOffice, Firefox,
| Audacity, Pidgin, Thunderbird, Gimp, and many more. But that doesn't address
| the fundamental flaws of the Windows OS; it's like using more and better dung
| polish.
|
| Taking the Long View
| Windows is the lamprey eel of operating systems. Lampreys are parasites with
| toothed, funnel-like sucking mouths. They attach themselves to bigger fish
| and live off their blood. Eventually the host fish weakens and dies, and then
| the lamprey finds another victim.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/01/it-all-starts-w.html

bMighty Says It's Time To Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As the bad economic news continues to accumulate, Linux offers hope to
| cash-strapped businesses everywhere. That's why bMighty has put together a
| uniquely useful set of how-to guides that can help you choose which Linux
| distro is right for your company's needs, show you exactly how to make the
| move, and even point you to the best places to get free Linux help.
|
| Over the past week, bMighty open source blogger Matthew McKenzie has written
| a series of amazing articles that tell you pretty much everything you need to
| know to help your company make the most of the open source operating system.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/bmighty_says_it.html

Recent:

10 ways to help users transition to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sheer economics are driving the increasingly widespread usage of the Linux
| operating system. It’s free, it’s reliable, it’s safe, and (did I mention?)
| it’s free! But when adopting a new operating system, there is always a
| learning curve for the user base. Not only that, many users think Linux is
| hard to use. This, of course, is not necessarily so. But it’s your job to
| overcome their reluctance and to train them to use Linux so that it becomes
| second-nature to them, as Windows is. Without sending your users to some sort
| of boot camp, this may seem like a rather daunting task. But there are ways
| to ease the pain of learning Linux. Let’s examine some of them.
|
| 1: Standardize on a Windows-like desktop
|
| [...]
|
| 2: Get users familiar with applications before you switch
|
| [...]
|
| 3: Choose the right distribution
|
| [...]
|
| 4: Have a machine up and running for your users to play around with
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=483

Migrating from Windows to Linux v1.79

,----[ Quote ]