Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III, Part 2

____/ Sermo Malifer on Thursday 29 January 2009 20:32 : \____

> chrisv wrote:
>> Sermo Malifer wrote:

>>> Sure they are.   They've been diversifying for some time now.
>>
>> But nothing they've done lately comes close to the success of their
>> Windows and Office products...
>
> That's true, but I was reacting to the suggestion that Microsoft was
> going out of business.   They need not duplicate their Windows/Office
> monopoly to survive and be successful.
>
>>> They didn't get to be where they are by being stupid.
>>
>> No, but let's not chalk it all up to being "smart", either.  Most of
>> it is simply the fact that in the PC OS market lent itself to having a
>> de facto standard product, and they got the jump on everyone with
>> IBM's endorsement.
>
> I blame M$'s competitors for putting the Windows monopoly where it is.
> Most of them were short-sighted, or greedy, or helped M$ by making their
> products Windows-only.

I suppose you know nothing about the sabotage of DR-DOS and OS/2? I can post
reminders if you like. I'd be happy to.

> The DOS deal with IBM happened 28 years ago.   That can't be the
> perpetual reason for the Windows monopoly.
>
>> I will concede that Micro$oft are masters of dirty-dealing business
>> tactics.  But even that has not helped them, in markets where they do
>> not have the advantage of overwhelming market share.
>
> They do well enough in other markets.  No worse than many other
> successful companies you could name.

They used corruption to dominate desktop O/Ses and office suites. In other
markets they typically fail miserably, but the losses are outweighed by gains
made through price-fixing (no competition) in Microsoft's bread-and-butter
division.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
lies.
 01:00:01 up 7 days,  9:46,  2 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.50, 0.68