Re: [News] Vista Sped Up GNU/Linux Adoption (Can't Wait for Vista7!)

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 29 January 2009 20:07 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> No he's not.
>>>
>>>    So why is XP making such a strong comeback? Well, I think Microsoft is
>>>    offering some very sweet deals to the OEMs to make sure that XP gets a
>>>    lot of play. The OEMs, who feel like Microsoft owes them after sticking
>>>    with the Vista stink-bomb, are happy to get low-cost XP.
>>
>> Which means, that if price diffrence is not great, OEM's (and thus their
>> customers) would rather hvae XP than Linux.  In fact, they'd rather have XP
>> even if it costs more, just not full price more.
>
> That's to be expected, isn't it?
>
> People try to portray this curve as bad for Linux:
>
> Linux Netbook Sales
> (%)
>  100  |        _______
>       |       |       |
>       |       |       \
>       |       |        \
>   30  |       |         \________
>       |       |
>    0  |______/______________________
>
>              A        B
>
> where A is "netbook market starts" and B is "Microsoft craps its pants and
> reacts".
>
> It is not bad for Linux.
>
>>>    Even so, Linux-powered netbooks are still cheaper than ones with XP, but
>>>    the vendors, with the exception of Dell with its Ubuntu hardware, aren't
>>>    doing much to promote them. Yes, everyone who's anyone in PCs now offers
>>>    desktop Linux, but they're not advertising it.
>>
>> Yeah, except comapnies like Toshiba and Gateway.
>
> Gateway?  Bleh.  I'll grant you Toshiba, though.

In March of 2008 Microsoft began /dumping/ Windows and pressuring OEMs too.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"