Re: [Rival] Cringely: Microsoft Should Sack 50,000 Employees

After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> On Jan 26, 6:25 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.cringely.com/2009/01/bob-the-impaler/

   First there is the issue of Microsoft having never before had a layoff.
   In one sense why would they?  The company makes so darned much money
   -- or at least they have historically -- that layoffs in the
   traditional sense of cutting fixed costs have hardly been necessary.  But
   there is a problem with not having layoffs and that's the sad fact
   that it makes it difficult to get rid of people who simply don't
   belong.  There are a lot of folks at Microsoft who should have departed
   long ago, but why?  It's comfortable in a way, the benefits are good,
   and once you've been around for a few years, heck, there's not
   much they could ever do to get rid of you.  There are people --
   possibly thousands of people -- coasting at Microsoft because of the
   company's policy of simply allowing it.

I find that statement somewhat surprising.  I thought the heavens would open
up on you there if you didn't perform.  Or is that a legend promulgated
deliberately, like the legend that Windows 7 is not just a Vista Service
Pack?

--
The politician is someone who deals in man's problems of adjustment.
To ask a politician to lead us is to ask the tail of a dog to lead the dog.