Re: TALKING POINTS Microsoft Memo (Comes Antitrust)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:52:08 +0000, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Verily I say unto thee, that George Barca spake thusly:
>[snip]
>
>Executive summary: The world is full of evil, that's just the way it is.

True.

>Yes George, the world is indeed full of evil, but it is also filled with
>good. It only remains for each of us to choose a side, take a stand, and
>fight our cause. Unfortunately, we can never win, because this battle is
>eternal, but that's the whole point. It's not the destination - it's the
>journey.

Actually I do believe one side or the other will ultimately win.
However I can't say which side.

>AFAIAC companies like Microsoft represent that half of humanity which is
>profoundly evil, and organisations like the FSF represent the other half
>of humanity which is profoundly good. This is of course a generalisation
>and gross oversimplification, that is never 100% true either way, but it
>is true /enough/ to be able to decide who one's friends and enemies are.
>
>So what side did /you/ choose?

I choose the side where people are compensated for their efforts.
I don't believe in giving stuff away unless every single entity
is giving stuff away and that will never happen.
I don't believe in patenting a keystroke but yet I do believe
that if a person comes up with a new method of calculating Pi to
the billionth decimal place, he should be compensated by anyone
who uses his method commercially.

Basically I believe that if a person plows, sows seeds,
cultivates the land and so forth he should be entitled to reap
the benefits and he should be protected from others trying to
worm their way into his action.

One thing I find disturbing about the Linux/OSS community is that
their seems to be a sub-group of activists that for some odd
reason feel they are entitled to everything for free.
In general the common denominator with these people is that they
have done zero to contribute and often are the first to cry foul
when their insignificant work may be compromised.

It seems to me that the OSS community in general is chock full of
bitter people who expect others to give their works away but yet
won't give their own works away.
As an example, how many people here use or program Windows by day
and advocate Linux by night?
So can I have the source code to your daily work?
No?
Why not?
And why do you expect me to hand over my source code?
etc.

George Barca
georgebarca1981@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx