[News] Verizon Chooses GNU/Linux for Phone

Verizon Launches 'Hub' VOIP Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless launched a VOIP-based, Linux-powered home phone on Friday,
| the Verizon Hub. The Hub plugs into a home broadband line and acts as a
| family calendar, limited Web browser, messaging center, digital picture frame
| and, of course, a phone.

Verizon VoIP phone doubles as DPF

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless announced a VoIP touchscreen phone that incorporates a
| digital picture frame (DPF) capability and can send navigation instructions
| to Verizon mobile phones. According to one report, the Verizon Hub (pictured)
| is based on OpenPeak's OpenFrame phone, which is said to run Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4867423455.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Verizon CEO doesn't know about open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got out of a Q&A session with Verizon Communications CEO Denny Strigl
| and being an open source guy I asked Strigl about open source. Specifically I
| asked what role does open source play at Verizon now, especially in light of
| the recent SFLC lawsuit against Verizon on GPL infringement.
|
| Strigl looked at me with a blank face and asked me to repeat my question. He
| was completely clueless.
|
| He then asked one of his PR people to answer, and they too were clueless.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/06/verizon-ceo-doesnt-know-about.html

Verizon offers details of Usenet deletion: alt.* groups, others gone

,----[ Quote ]
| Cuomo claimed that his office found child porn on 88 newsgroups--out of
| roughly 100,000 newsgroups that exist. In a press release, he took credit for
| the companies' blunderbuss-style newsgroup removal by saying: "We are
| attacking this problem by working with Internet service providers...I commend
| the companies that have stepped up today to embrace a new standard of
| responsibility, which should serve as a model for the entire industry."
|
| [...]
|
| What this means in practice is that, thanks to the New York state attorney
| general, Verizon customers will lose out on innocent discussions. Verizon is
| retaining only eight newsgroup hierarchies, even though over 1,000
| hierarchies exist.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967119-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Verizon Wireless, seven others join Linux phone org

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless has chosen Linux as its mobile phone "platform of choice,"
| it said. Starting with feature phones in 2009, followed by iPhone
| competitors, Verizon will offer Linux phones compliant with specifications
| from the Linux Mobile Foundation (LiMo), an industry group it joined today,
| along with seven other companies.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7113682989.html

Update: Verizon, Mozilla join mobile Linux group

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless is throwing its support behind mobile Linux, becoming the
| first U.S. operator to join the LiMo Foundation, a group developing mobile
| Linux technology
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/05/14/Verizon-Mozilla-join-mobile-Linux-group_1.html

Related:

Palamida Exec Chides Verizon For Not Responding On GPL Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'm a little surprised by it, to tell you the truth," Tolliver said in a
| recent interview. Palamida is a supplier of risk management software for
| managing an enterprise's software assets. Its auditing system scans code and
| identifies its origins, from open source projects or other known sources.
|
| "Usually these issues can be resolved before pretty promptly," he added. But
| Verizon had no response to the center when it sent a letter notifying Verizon
| of a violation, and it's had no response since the center filed a suit Dec. 7
| in federal District Court for the Southern District of New York.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080112/tc_cmp/205602460

Member review of Verizon FIOS

,----[ Quote ]
| For the broadband installation, one thing I really didn’t want was to have
| Verizon install a bunch of junk software on my computer. So when it was time
| to set up the connection I offered the tech a linux laptop. He said, “Linux,
| what’s that?” I said, let's try it anyway. The normal procedure is to connect
| your computer, go to a special website and download a bunch of software, then
| set up your account username and password and agree to a terms of service. Of
| course, going to the special website we get the message, “your operating
| system is not supported”. I asked the tech to call his support, who laughed
| when he heard the word linux, but then relented and gave us an extra special
| website with login and password where we could set everything up without
| downloading software. Yay! The TV and phone setup were completely
| straightforward.
`----

http://www.broadbandreports.com/comment/2568/66067

Verizon Embraces Google's Android

,----[ Quote ]
| In yet another sudden shift, Verizon Wireless plans to support Google's
| (GOOG) new software platform for cell phones and other mobile devices.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc2007123_429930.htm

Verizon to support the Linux desktop, but only if your rich...

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon has been supporting the linux desktop for Red Hat for
| various applications for a while now. It wasn't until recently
| that with the help of some unpaid employees that they got it
| working for Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.treeninjas.com/?p=12

Verizon Business Expands OS Support for Enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows is our most deployed system, but Linux is our fastest-growing
| one..."
|
| [...]
|
| He also said that AIX and UX also have strong cross-platform
| compatibility with systems like Linux, and are well designed to
| handle applications requiring huge memory and scalability.

Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code

,----[ Quote ]
| Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
| them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software and
| has chosen instead to write its own.

Verizon sues FCC over open-access auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Media reform group Free Press, a supporter of the open-access rules, accused
| Verizon Wireless of sending "lawyers, FUD and money" in an attempt to
| overturn the FCC's decision.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070914/tc_infoworld/91833

Google vs. Verizon: The 'open access' saga continues

,----[ Quote ]
| First with Net neutrality and now with so-called "open access" rules for
| forthcoming wireless networks, there seems to be no end to the discord
| between Google and Verizon.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9778508-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement

| The same two principal developers already successfully sued Monsoon Media,
| and they have litigation pending against Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
| Antennas, LLC. Here is the press release from the Software Freedom Law Center
| on the Verizon suit, followed by the complaint as text.

Verizon Being Sued for GPL Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the SFLC, Verizon can be added to the list of companies
| infringing on the GPL. They filed a lawsuit in New York yesterday (pdf)
| alleging that the company is handing out routers using the GPL'd
| software 'BusyBox' without accompanying source code.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/07/1953217&from=rss

Verizon: Open access should cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Communications Inc.'s plan to open its wireless network to any
| devices, not just Verizon cell phones, is partly motivated by a desire to cut
| costs, the company's chief operating officer said Wednesday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/ap_on_hi_te/verizon_open_network

Thin clients in, PCs out at Verizon Wireless

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/050407-thin-client-verizon.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news