[News] [OT] UK Betrays Open-Source Government Principles

Memo to Gordon Brown...from Barack Obama

,----[ Quote ]
| In the light of Gordon's recent wobbly over our Freedom of Information Act,
| lets hope he reads carefully the following memo from his new mate Obama:
|
|     A democracy requires accountability, and accountability requires
|     transparency. As Justice Louis Brandeis wrote, "sunlight is said to be
|     the best of disinfectants." In our democracy, the Freedom of Information
|     Act (FOIA), which encourages accountability through transparency, is the
|     most prominent expression of a profound national commitment to ensuring
|     an open Government. At the heart of that commitment is the idea that
|     accountability is in the interest of the Government and the citizenry
|     alike.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/memo-to-gordon-brownfrom-barack-obama.html

The UK Government is at it Again

,----[ Quote ]
| You would have thought the smack across the knuckles delivered by the public
| over their attempt to hide MP's expenses from scrutiny would be enough for
| the UK government's ministers, but oh no, they're up to their old tricks:
|
| Hidden in the new Coroners and Justice Bill [2] is one clause (cl.152)
| amending the Data Protection Act. It would allow ministers to
| make 'Information Sharing Orders', that can alter any Act of Parliament and
| cancel all rules of confidentiality in order to use information obtained for
| one purpose to be used for another.
|
| This single clause is as grave a threat to privacy as the entire ID Scheme.
| Combine it with the index to your life formed by the planned National
| Identity Register [3] and everything recorded about you anywhere could be
| accessible to any official body.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1778

Recent:

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

A suspect package