Re: Windows, Linux, and Car Radios

Rex Ballard wrote:

> On Jan 23, 3:54 am, Terry Porter <linu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Homer wrote:
>> > Verily I say unto thee, that 7 spake thusly:
>> > Yes, that was a rather odd statement.
>
>> > What exactly are Windows' "capabilities"?
>
> By this I mean the ability to run applications originally written for
> Windows.  Applications like Turbo Tax, Quicken or QuickBooks, old
> share-ware programs, video games, cheap educational software, and
> legacy corporate applications written to the Windows API.

Ah ok, I see where you are going, and I agree, certainly with accounting
and tax applications. One of the more common reasons I hear against ditching
Windows completely, are these applications.

It's not that Linux does not have a wide choice of excellent accounting
apps, i.e. WebERP, Compiere, Sql-Ledger etc, the main problem seems to me
to be that most accountants are too lazy to learn how to use them.

As a side note, one of the WebERP developers *is* an accountant, and I have
never had the privilege of subscribing to a friendlier and more
knowledgeable list server community than theirs.

<snip>

> Traditional PC sales are down, possibly down to as little as 100
> million PCs.

I read once that all new disruptive technologies have about a decade of
profitability for the early adopters. The old PC has lasted 27 years so far
and is well beyond is 'money making' life.

Something new was needed to drive PC-like consumer sales, and that appears
to be the netbook, a product for which Windows is very unsuited.

The PC is dead as a decent profit earner, and a netbook with Windows, a hard
drive and lots of ram, is just a small PC, it's not a netbook.

The Wintrolls will squeal like pigs now, but let's remember what started the
netbook or "third form factor" craze before the Microsoft revisionist
trolls arrive at this thread en mass.

It was the Asustech 700 series Eeepc, which used a heavily underclocked 900
MHz Intel Celeron M processor, with a 7 inch (178 mm) screen, measured
diagonally, and a resolution of 800×480 pixels. The unit used *only* a SSD
and only Linux.

Everybody just had to have one, and once Microsoft woke up, it had to try
and own that new market as well.

> Today more Linux powered devices are shipped than Windows powered
> PCs.  This is because Linux runs in small devices that need less
> power, less memory, and less storage.  Devices such as WiFi hubs,
> routers, DVRs, HDTV sets, cameras, cell phones, and even automobiles
> and microwave ovens.  *Nix also powers cable-modems, Cable TV tuners,
> and Digital TV converter boxes being offered by the US government.
> Linux also powers many cash registers, ATMs, Kiosks, teller
> workstations, call center terminals, and IT management consoles.

Linux also powers Hidef TV sets, such as the Sony Bravia, and my 32" LG LCD
which lists the GPL on the last page of its user manual.

I supply WiFI gear for a living, and sell two different kinds of access
point, one is the Linksys WRT54GL, where "L" stands for Linux. The other is
our own white box unit the "UltraWAP", an incredibly popular, versatile and
reliable Linux powered unit.

Throw in antennas, cable, enclosures, configuration, network designs, and
technical support all based around these Linux powered WiFi access points
and it's a nice little one man business. Fortunately for me, it's also
Windows free.

The Wintrolls would have everyone believe that the entire world runs on
Windows, and that all there is, which of course totally false.

Windows is incapable of doing what I need.

Join the winning team, and get your Free GNU/Linux/Ubuntu CD at :-
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008