Re: Besides Windows, other trouble spots at Microsoft

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 23 January 2009 01:24 : \____

> On Jan 22, 4:38 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> ____/ ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 23 January 2009 00:16 : \____
>>

>> > <Quote>
>> > Windows Vista and XP may shoulder most of the blame for Microsoft
>> > Corp.'s mediocre second-quarter results announced today, but few of
>> > the software maker's divisions were shining beacons....
>>
>> > [Some bright spots, but...]
>>
>> > A $100 million drop in the sale of Zune devices contributed to a 60%
>> > decrease in the entertainment and devices division's operating income,
>> > to $151 million....
>>
>> > Microsoft's weakest financial performer was its online services
>> > business, which continued its money-losing ways...The loss widened in
>> > part because of a $137 million increase in cost of revenue, as
>> > Microsoft made payouts to users who tried its Live Search site, which
>> > competes with Google Inc.'s search.
>> > </Quote>
>>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBas...
>>
>> You're linking to Microsoft-sympathetic authors who work for IDC (IDG is
>> part of it), which receives heaps of money from Microsoft. The truth is even
>> more gloomy than they put it.
>>

> I know, but that makes the reports all the more revealing.

Exactly.

Have you noticed how Microsoft, along its talking points, blames "netbooks" for
the slump? Never mention the "L" word...

Microsoft is dumping Windows for just $5 apiece just because it's
called "netbook". :-S

They also chant "Linux killer" in reference to netbooks. They sure get
the 'memo' from Microsoft. They know where the Beast bleeds. :-)

"We feel a huge threat from Linux"  -- Jim Allchin

"I am Scared [of GNU/Linux]" -- Jim Allchin

Replying to "who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?" said
Ballmer: "Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux, certainly have
to go with that."

Ozzie made a similar remark some months ago.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers