Comes: Gates, Maritz, Myhrvold and Allchin Attack Standards (Full Text, PLEX0_2658)

  • Subject: Comes: Gates, Maritz, Myhrvold and Allchin Attack Standards (Full Text, PLEX0_2658)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:13:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

From:  Bill Gates
Sent:  Wednesday, February 19, 1997 9:46 AM
To:  Jim Allchin (Exchange)
CC:  Nathan Myhrvold; Paul Maritz
Subject:  RE: "Losing a Franchise - The Microsoft Windows Story" (a new Harvard
Case Study)

I agree that making sure applications are primarily on Windows is something we
have lost site of.

I rail against the people who want to just give things away like DirectX.  I
think exactly the same thoughts in your message.

However I think the problem is much less what we are doing than what we are not
doing.

I can cancel every give away and we would still have a major problem.

We need a vision of what a Windows application looks like - for example how can
it sometimes run on the server and sometimes on the client.  What will we have
that the Java Runtime will not have?

Cross-platform demand is not coming from statistics.  It is coming from the
free-lunch syndrome we have allowed to develop.  All of a sudden people think
there is no drawback to being cross platform.  No drawback in size, speed,
interface, richness, testability.  To some degree this is true because
machines have enough memory now that a "duplicate runtime" is not
overwhelming.

We should have people laughing at the idea of 100% pure Java whether they write
in JAVA or not.  However we have nothing along these lines.  The fact that
their runtime is changing, will keep changing, will be subsetted on some
machines, will have to make someone money, will have to choose UI, etc...etc
is just lost because we are not there driving a positive agenda for Windows.

The fact is that applications can be run on the server against an HTML client.
I would prefer this to be a Citrix like client but that is not the key issue.
Most applications will have very little client code in the future.  For
example Federal Express giving you their package status.

The fact is there will be lots of machines where HTML/some level of Java is all
they will have in common.  Cheap devices and old PCs will be like this.  I
makes it very easy for people to think they should just program to this.

Our installed base not migrating is a major drag on our ability to promote
something new.

Lets work together to find the solution to this.  It's critical.  I can say I
am more scared than you are but that is not what will help us figure out where
we should go.