Re: [News] 'Bandwidth Monopoly' Under Attack, Wants to Be Free/Open

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> To put it another way, what, exactly, do you mean when you say
> "usage".

Total number of bits of data transferred in either direction, of any
type and protocol. IOW I don't care, and shouldn't have to. The ISPs
should provide the service their customers want, calculate the cost,
then bill them accordingly. If the price is prohibitively high, then
ISPs should offer tiered service levels, but this wholesale capping,
throttling and DPI is totally unacceptable, and IMHO just an excuse.

> Whilst I see your point, I don't think this is as simple as you are
> suggesting.

I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of running an ISP, or
billing millions of customers, but I'm more than a little sceptical
about exactly what is supposedly so difficult about allowing people
to pay for a higher level of service, instead of treating them like
lepers and punishing them, whilst claiming they have no options.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It
|  is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." ~ William
|  Pitt the Younger

 21:24:51 up 78 days,  5:07,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.01