Re: [News] France is Moving to GNU/Linux Starting from the Top

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

French Lawmakers Hope to Inspire Linux Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| If the French National Assembly gets its way, the open-source Linux operating | system will take over the governments of Europe, seizing on a weak economy to | displace Windows. | | About 18 months ago, the Assembly shifted from running Windows on the 1,100 | computers of its members and their assistants to running a version of Linux | called Ubuntu. (I profiled the rise of Ubuntu in a recent article.) According | to Rudy Salles, vice president of the assembly, the decision to abandon | Microsoft’s Windows software was both an economic and political gesture. | | The French Parliament should save about 500,000 euros over the next five | years, thanks to the low price of Ubuntu –- free –- and have lower management | costs. Linux tends to have fewer security issues than Windows, for example. `----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/french-lawmakers-hope-to-inspire-linux-revolution/

same article:
(((((
“We’re quite happy because it’s all working very well now,” Mr. Salles said. “We see that many countries are interested in our experience, and so we’ll try to help the other parliaments around the world.”

According to Mr. Salles, a survey polling members of the French Assembly found that 80 percent of the members were happy with the new software, which included new e-mail and office applications, while 14 percent felt Windows should return.
)))))